Thursday, September 17, 2009

#1

Last night I took the first step toward checking off things on
my bucket list.

The first item on the list (not that I have to check off in order...it just worked out that way):
"Learn to Knit".

Last night I took size 13 needles and a ball of wool/acrylic yarn to the Knitting Club at the county library in La Mesa.
They meet Wednesday nights from 6pm to 8pm (when the library closes).
They have been meeting for one year so far, and are all ages.

I was a little scared, but was instantly welcomed, and one of the ladies was kind enough to set her own needles aside and show me what to do.

At first it felt really awkward, and I kept wanting to hold the needles from beneath instead of placing my hands on top of them.
Finally, I got the hang of it a bit, though there is still lots to learn, like purling, and reading a pattern.
I'll get there.

At one point, when we were all talking, the lady who was teaching me leaned over and whispered, "I hear the needles clicking, and I can see out of the corner of my eye that you're going to be a knitting fool!"
Said with a wink in her voice, it was definitely a pat on the back.

Slow progress, but I can already tell this is going to be fun
First attempt at knitting

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

wow ...it looks fantastic...nice perfect stitches with great tension!! Looks like you are a natural!!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This is really your first try? The stitches are so smooth and even. Great work! My first piece looked like I was making lace.....some real ugly lace.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I am so impressed! I can cast on, but that is it - I really need to do a knitting course or something so that I can learn! More than anything else, I want to knit a pair of spats!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Knitting is a wonderful pastime; crocheting even more-so for some!! I personally find that crochet works up a lot quicker and knitting is for the more special projects. My mom knitted Barbie clothes when Teri and I were kids-business suits, a bikini, slacks, shorts, tops, coats--to this day I am speechless at the idea. Oh to have those little gems in hand now that I am fifty and truly appreciate the work(wo)manship.

10:54 AM  
Blogger kt said...

Yay Barb! Welcome to the party!! You're off to a great start!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Congrats on checking something off your list. And welcome to the club!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh good on you, Barb! I always wanted to be able to knit, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, despite lessons from two mothers-in-law, friends, teachers, and so on. My fingers seem to all turn to thumbs and I can't manipulate the needles. Guess I'll just stick to embroidery. I don't have a problem with tiny needles, LOL!

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Barb. It looks to me like you have a firm even tension which is ideal. Well done.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home