Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Share a Past Project Thursday

It's only Wednesday night, but I have to work long hours tomorrow, so I'm going to post this now.
I haven't done a SAPP post in awhile. I will do them on occasion again. It's fun to share stuff that way, but there are only so many pics of things, you know?

Cast Paper (sewing notions)
This is a paper casting of sewing notions. (you'll have to click on the image to be able to see it. Flickr doesn't size the photos as well as Blogger does)
cast paper sewing notions

Anyway, I took a pile of sewing notions and made a plastic mold in a special machine (that's the mold on the right). We then cast paper in our molds, and when the paper was dry, I used a foam Nerf ball dipped into stamp pads to color portions of mine.
It's a fun and unique piece of art.

I made this in a sculpture class at a Community College a few years ago. Community College classes are a great source for creative projects at a low cost. Next semester I am going to sign up for a sewing class, in preparation for the semester following when I will be able to take a flat-pattern construction class.
(For those of you in San Diego, Mesa College offers a fashion degree, and therefore has some amazing sewing classes available. Grossmont College has an excellent sculpture program).

PS: As cheesy as this is, I'm so happy Emmitt Smith won Dancing with the Stars. Ha! Imagine a bar filled with big ol' football types, watching ballroom dancing. I mean, that just makes me smile. And wanting to get back out on the dance floor...

3 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Hammer time? (Those parachute pants had better not be on their way back....)

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved his GREEN SHOES, only a REAL man can pull that off.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

I totally agree! Also, I tend to think that Mario is a bit cheesy, and I wasn't too thrilled to watch him making out with his dance partner. Ugh.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home