Wednesday, November 08, 2006

No peanut butter for me, thank you

Sorry about my post yesterday. I don't mean to be negative, I just think I am hormonally charged lately, and am prone to seriousness and introspection anyway. This despite the fact that I have an easy, genuine laugh, and am more apt to offer an open-mouthed, head-thrown-back belly laugh than most people I know.

I wrote the editor of Cloth Paper Scissors, Patricia Bolton, and gave her a similar "I suck" type letter as my excuse for not having my article in by yet another deadline. Usually I don't share personal emails here in a public space, but really, her response just makes me want to throw my arms around her. Would that all bosses were this amazing. Would that she were always my boss for that matter.

If you don't already subscribe to Quilting Arts and/or Cloth Paper Scissors, I urge you to support these publications that have quality people like this lovely lady behind the wheel. And this is not me kissing ass. This is me saying it's nice to know people like this are out there.
Besides, the magazines rock.

She wrote (in part):
"First, take a deep breath! You are my soul sister, because it's evident you are way, way, way too hard on yourself. I worry and obsess every single time I have to do something as benign as a letter from the editor, and after doing about 30 of them over the years, it doesn't get any easier and the fear that I'm going to say something stupid doesn't lessen. I'm still fraught with worry and doubt and try to keep the panic attacks at bay.....

....Working with us is a fluid, give-and-take process. Not a single thing comes through these doors without all of the editors making sure it shines beautifully. If we have questions or need you to elaborate on something, we'll just ask. We edit everybody (including each other!) We don't want anybody to walk out the front door with peanut butter on their face. ;-)"...


Wow.
I mean seriously, how cool is that?!

I am voicing this because I tend to be forthright like that. Too, perhaps within my insecurities you see yourself. Perhaps knowing we share similarities offers some sense of comfort. Maybe there's strength in numbers.

Why is it that so many of us, artists or otherwise, question ourselves so much?
I constantly struggle with this. But with every fulfilled challenge we gain more confidence.
With each completed project we take a step forward.

6 Comments:

Blogger Grangry said...

No need to apologise Barb, you are very articulate in your misery!

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

It is o.k. & will continue to be o.k. a lot of very successful people doubt themselves everyday.

10:45 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Awesome response! That is wonderful. And I am glad you are feeling a bit better. I wish I could throw my arms around you and take you out for an ice cream cone!

11:22 AM  
Blogger carrster said...

That's got to make you feel a bit better, eh?? Can I come with you & Kelli for some ice cream? heh

:)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

All your blog sisters are pulling for you, too! I'm going to wait to check out this mag until you're in it!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could go on and on and on about how seriously you rock. The fact that you sometimes feel overwelmed does not effect my admiration for what you do....with the blog, your crafts, your personal attention to your readers. Give yourself a break and know that we care about you.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home