Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Neckties!

I just started a group on Flickr.com called Sewing with Neckties.
So, if you have any photos of items you've made with neckties,
or ideas you've seen in magazines, etc....
please feel free to post them here.

Here're a few to get you started:
These are all from Quilt World Omnibook, summer 1988.
Men's ties quilt

What I love about sewing with men's ties is the fabrics are often fun novelty prints that capture the decade.
Some ties from the 40's are hand-painted tiny works of art--which is why some people collect vintage ties and think people like me who cut them up are desecrating something holy.
I believe what I (and others) create from these items are also works of art, plus we recycle items that might otherwise be in a landfill. Too, from our attention to the items, we are bringing about another form of recognition.

Necktie quilts are often memorial quilts, using what were once a man's item of clothing to remember his life.
One of the few books still in print about sewing with neckties, is Daddy's Ties, by Shirley Botsford.

Note the fun border on these:
Necktie Quilts

More necktie quilts

Family Ties Quilt

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Suburban prep said...

I haven't seen anything made up with ties before but I have seen shawls and ponchos made up with scarves. I have also seen pillows made up with old sweaters. that is something that you might try if you haven't already--pillows made up with ties.

6:54 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Thanks for your comment, Suburban Prep. I don't have an email address for you, nor a blog to check out, so hopefully you'll see my comment here. I appreciate your stopping by.
I am making a pillow right now. I want to try the sweater thing too--there was a really cute article in a magazine recently about baby cardigans patched from old sweaters. I have a few books about making quilts from old hankies. The possibilities are endless!

7:10 PM  
Blogger deb said...

how cool! What fun.

7:21 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

At my LQS they are teaching a tie quilt...

http://www.capitalquilts.com/Sample%20photos/tie-one-on.htm

11:35 AM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

I am going to cover this on my blog closer to Easter, but a woman was on Martha last year using ties to dye her easter Eggs. You wrap the eggs with the silk patterned swatch and add in a few other things to the water, tie it with a rubberband before hard boiling, and the pattern transfers to the egg. it's GORGEOUS. I'm not kidding, like mini little Faberge eggs and so easy!
I can't wait to do this project and I'll pass it along after I'm done!

12:59 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Ooh, MM, please post your pics to my Flickr group when you make your eggs. I've seen that article--thanks for reminding me. I think I'll try it too.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

Barb,
Sorry no blog.
I just thought the pillow idea would be different.
You are really creative from what I have read and I figure that you'll have some fantastic idea.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lynnielee says: I'm looking for a pattern for a tie quilt that we got a copy of on the internet, but can't find it. Your's are beautiful. Do you share pattrns? mamasams17@yahoo.com, I would really like to have a copy>

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Donna Karan Jackets said...

My aunt is also making a quilt and I think I saw her making a quilt having a bow tie design. I'm gonna post here those photos I've taken when it is done.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home