Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Homemade Cake!


Yes, I know you can't tell this was made in a six inch pan (so I got two cakes out of one recipe...one to give and one to keep). And you can't see the yummy lemon filling. But maybe you'll at least inquire about the recipe (it follows here, so give it a go). I got inspired to try a smaller cake pan after reading about it on Not Martha. She used four inch pans, and I can't wait to use those next. Six inch makes one perfect cake, and one a bit smaller. For the gift, I placed the cake atop an eight inch cardboard cake circle (should have added a doily or something, but I was short on time), tied it up in cellophane and ribbon, and voila! Perfect gift for someone who appreciates the time and effort that goes into baking from scratch. I find baking therapeutic, and I love having "groupies" who can't wait for me to get back into the kitchen again! Posted by Picasa

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Gee Barb, how long did it take you to type all that out?! Sounds delicious! I agree 100% with you about home made cakes using butter and sugar, all the stuff that is supposed to be BAD for you - what a joke! Just about everything I do is made from scratch. I make my own chicken stock for the base for my soups, and keep the left over stock in the freezer in small containers. They come in handy when a recipe calls for half a cup of chicken stock. I gave up using stock cubes years ago, once I tasted the difference in soup made with them and made with fresh chicken stock. But I digress...
Home made cakes - I just love the smell of them baking, wafting through the house, and I still love 'licking the bowl and spoon' as I did when I was a kid! Especially after creaming the butter and sugar - yum! I wouldn't eat the leftovers from a packet mix :~ Do you ever wonder what goes in shop-bought cakes, that they stay 'edible' for weeks on end? Ugh, the mind boggles.. Whereas freshly baked cakes are really only good for a day or two (other than fruit cakes or gingerbread).

6:29 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

There's something warm and fuzzy about "licking the beaters" as a kid (I still do it, but...you know). I used to have a roommate whose mom had been the president of the National Organization for Women. No problem there, but she evidently got over zealous about anything that could be labeled "domestic". But this was when the feminist movement was new. Things have changed (read Jean Railla's "Get Crafty Hip Home Ec"). Anyway, her mom wouldn't cook anything, so everything was out of a box. She had never known the pleasure of seeing the mix master turning...of using your finger to scrape the empty bowl...of blending sugar and butter and flour and eggs. She had never had real pudding cooked on the stove. I just thought it was really sad. Those childhood memories of cooking with my mom are the reason I love to bake now.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Yup, me too...those women's libbers don't know what they missed, do they! I haven't any kids either, but am still very domesticated and proud of it!

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home