Sunday, October 23, 2005

Current Emotion: Introspective

I almost posted a diary page tonight...I would have exposed some intimate details of my life...but I couldn't get the page to copy and ended up thinking maybe it was for the best. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, but revealing personal details to possible hoards, however anoymous, well, maybe it's better to not do that. Knowing me, however, it will get there soon enough anyway. I am nothing if not intense. I will say this:
When I work nights, I like to listen to talk radio. I said I would never do that, but aaaah, how we become our parents. The station I listen to has done a lot of commentary lately about the nomination of Harriet Miers for Supreme Court Justice. The thing that bothers me is that she is forever criticized and labeled as odd, in that she has never married, and has never had children, and that is just "not normal". Something is not right, these radio personalities insist.
Uh, what about me? Am I not normal because I am single without kids? Am I less than or tainted or cast out? Why is this? Any time one of my sister-in-laws sees me, always the first question is whether or not I'm dating. When I say no, I get this sad look like I just killed a puppy. What the hell is that about? Is my life invalidated because I do not have a husband? We really haven't come too far then, have we? Yeah, I'd love to be in a relationship, but I'm not going to opt for just anyone just so I won't have to be alone. I don't want that kind of emptiness.

6 Comments:

Blogger kath red said...

everyone is different - I don't know why we are all supposed to be in a mould - so society can classify us and either we are accepted or rejected. its not right - but unfortunately that point of view is expounded by the government and pushed by the media until we don't know any different.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

To thine own self be true - and live your life for yourelf - not for the expectations of others. :)

3:19 AM  
Blogger Balwearie said...

I find as I get older that more and more women are supportive of me not being married (although I was for 5 years). I like having my own space and not having to worry about picking up my knitting/quilting/fabric scraps... I think the media needs to get a grip and realize that not all women are pining away for a man.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Although it's not as bad for men, we have to put up with the same sorts of things. I'm always asked if I'm married or dating. The answer is always met with a silence or disapproving, "Oh," as if there's something wrong with me since no woman has approved of me. My cousing and her friend were at my home visiting when I was remodelling my bathroom. The friend said, "Do you have a girlfriend?" I said, "No," to which she snottily said, "Well, it's a good thing, 'cause you'd work all the time and ignore her!" No....I wouldn't. I would treat her well and with respect. But, without the girlfriend or wife, what's wrong with working?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been married, had kids, been in serious relationships and been single. I vote for single.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Good on you Barb - continue on the path that is best for you. I am married (twice), and am very happy, but I know that if I wasn't married, I would probably be in some kind of a relationship, because I love the company of men, and would not feel complete without one in my life somewhere. However, as a friend said to me once, "I don't need jocks on the clothes line to make my life complete" - lol! I'm like that with kids - glad I never had 'em, and I certainly don't need nappies on the line to make MY life complete either!

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home