Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dump Cake

Amy just posted a recipe on her blog for Poor Man's Pie. I thought this was similar to my Dump Cake recipe, and started looking up similar recipes on the internet. These are called "dump" because you dump all the ingredients into one bowl or pan, bake, and you're done. Super easy. I noticed that most of the recipes (and there are a ton of variations) use powdered cake mixes and added fruit. My recipe is more from scratch, and it includes a frosting (most versions don't). I thought I'd share it.

Dump Cake
2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 can Comstock Pie Filling (apple or cherry)
1 cup chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
9" x 13" pan.
Bake about 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool and frost.

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 small container cool whip

Beat cheese and sugar together until fluffy and sugar is dissolved. Fold into cool whip and spread onto cooled cake. Keep refrigerated.
There is a note on the recipe card to try sour cream cheese frosting, but no indication of what this means. Maybe substitute a small container sour cream for the cool whip? I asked for the recipe a gazillion years ago at some work function, and was given this handwritten recipe card. My favorite recipes are ones like that--ones from families or tiny cookbooks from churches, etc. The fun thing about internet recipe sites is a lot include reviews from people who try them out, and they'll add helpful hints or changes.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Cool, you know you can't go wrong with cool whip....

Now to by a can of apple pie filling....

6:53 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I tried it with Apple filling - we like it better without the frosting - but then again I had to mix it by hand - & hte cream cheese was FAR from creamed - it was chunky.....

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made your cake this weekend and loved it. Was very easy to make and I will be making it again. I did not add the frosting....just warm it up in the microwave and add cool whip. Yum!! Thanks for posting the recipe.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home