Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Finally...my Christmas Apron


 Posted by Picasa
I used one of my vintage patterns for this. Triple tiers lined in bias tape, and my first bib style. I thought the tiers gave it a tree effect, so I wanted to use a green fabric. Rather than spend a lot of money at a quilt store, I found a green gingham sheet at a thrift store. The sheet felt like it still had sizing in it (so brand new), and it was also monogrammed, so I figured that meant high quality. My mom had some holiday themed bias tape from the 70's (why don't they make this anymore?), so I pieced four different types. I like the effect. I also reversed the bib so I had more of a tree shape. Eventually I plan to make a star-shaped oven mitt (I already bought the silver fabric--the type used on ironing board covers), and hang it from a button at the top of the bib...like the star at the top of a Christmas tree.


 Posted by Picasa
I used a thrift store scarf for the tie. The print has ornaments all over it. I like how it flows.


 Posted by Picasa


 Posted by Picasa


 Posted by Picasa
Since we're back talking about Christmas, I have to post this pic of the OB tree. Ocean Beach is a beach community in San Diego known for it's small-town hippie vibe. Every year they have a funky parade down Newport Avenue. My friend Herbie marches as part of the Geriatric Surf Club (surfers over the age of 30)Precision Marching Surfboard Drill Team & Gidget Patrol. Anyway, it ends on the sand by the pier (once upon a time the location of an amusement park called Wonderland), and a big tree. The ornaments are beach balls--come on, that has GOT to make you smile!

5 Comments:

Blogger beerconsumer said...

Cool tree and apron...

10:35 PM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

Cuuuute Apron!!!!!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

That's a super apron. The binding is great. A triumph!

10:59 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

Beach balls? When I first looked at the tree I thought it was a smaller size for inside use! ha ha! I love the tiered effect on your apron! And, yes, It would be so awesome if they still made holiday themed bias tape! Halloween bias tape...awww!

12:39 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I like the apron..... The butbow is the best part, but I also smiled when I saw the candy cane bais tape.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home