Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vintage cereal booklet

 
I love these old booklets, if only for the illustrations. I find the Ozzie and Harriet-type innocence charming. This is a publication by The Kellogg Company, 1933. The funny thing is, it's about using bran as a laxative. Evidently, uh, that's why these people are so happy. Posted by Picasa

 
The preface says:
Haven't you noticed that your happiest hours occur on days when you're in the pink of condition? Times when you've really lived. You've felt fine, and looked your best. Enjoy more "sunshine days." Guard your health now--while you have it. Your health influences your actions, your moods, your manner toward others, your whole outlook on life. It is our hope that this book will bring you some of the rules of right living--that it will prove a valuable aid in helping you kep on the sunny side of life!
Uh, the pink of condition? Hmmm. Posted by Picasa

  Posted by Picasa
There's a beauty-parlor in your kitchen. Powders and creams are delightful aids to beauty. They will do wonders--if you start with a healthy body. For health, itself, is the source of a smooth, lovely skin and an engaging personality. Bran helps.
The page adjacent to this is
"The 7 Day Diet for Correcting Constipation". Alrighty then.

  Posted by Picasa
"Dieting for Charm and Chic"

 
Evidently bran is the panacea for life's perils. Eat bran, and you can be svelte and happy. Would that it were so simple!  Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are these the sister publications of "Prune Juice- makes the going great"? Priceless! Now I know that all my troubles are due to lack of bran in my life :o)

4:10 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

Well, frankly it just makes me fart!!***

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a tiny booklet - probably from the late '30's, which invites you to 'Combat Constipation The Modern Way - The 3 Minute Way'. Inside, it advertises Feen-a-mint and promises 'a thorough evacuation without griping or weakening after-effects.' 3 minutes? You just better be prepared to move fast, is all I'm sayin'.

12:12 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I love the Ozzie & Harriett vintage stuff... Now I feel an urge to eat BRAN.... My finacee is a devotee of Raisin Bran - any bran-d :o) I crack myself up!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Balwearie said...

Ya know.... Graham crackers came about the same way. Sylvester Graham was a great supporter of ...movements.

Love the 30's images, tho. Especially the swimsuits!

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home