Friday, June 16, 2006

Photobooth Friday

No, I didn't get my computer back up, I went to Kinkos and paid 40 cents per minute to scan this. Unfortunately, I had some trouble, only got two photos scanned, and you don't even want to know how much it set me back. Holy cow. Then I went to the Farmer's Market and spent $18 on five pounds of peaches. They had better be worth it. Money just flies through my hand like sand.
Anyway...back to Photobooth Friday.
photobooth
Woolworth's photobooth. I had just turned 18.
My face is full of hope and dreams and an underlying insecurity. I was testing the waters, trying to believe in myself but not quite succeeding. It would be decades before I ever felt at ease in my own skin. I didn't know then that ease comes with the wisdom of experience, challenges, and finally not caring what others think.

I was working my first job at McDonalds. I was obsessed with dance, winning contests with my friend David and taking classes downtown. I had not yet had a serious boyfriend.
As much as I'm thankful for having grown up in Southern California, I've always thought that growing up elsewhere might have offered a panacea...a magic 'it' factor garnered through making the cheer squad and being asked to the prom. All that mattered so much.

In the photo, my neck is laced with two strands of shells. I wish I could go back in time and tell her to do things differently, to feel differently, to act stronger, to react differently.
But all any of us have is now.
I plan to use that now wisely from now on.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Isn't it amazing the way a photograph can instantly take us back in time to not just a past event but also past emotions. I think many of us would give our weight in gold if we could go back to those formidable years with the knowledge and confidence we have now. I know I would. I think I've got you beat in the produce department today I spent $16.00 on two lbs of cherries. I bought a bunch of plants and the cherries at a local farm stand. It wasn't until I was home and took out the reciept that I realized how expensive they were. They are all gone. My son ate half and my daughter and I split the rest and they were worth every penny.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love photographs. In many ways, they're all we have. When I see my ugly mug, ca. 1980, do I want to go back? I don't think so. A photo of myself will make me remember, it'll teach me, it'll help me learn about myself and the neurotic trip I've taken to be what I am today. Photographs amaze me, but that's all. I think it's enough!

And would I spend $8 on a pound of cherries? Hell, yeah!

9:55 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Barb, I totally had that same haircut. It was the Jaclyn Smith.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - I love photobooth photos. My friend and I used to go to the one b&w one left in our city all the time when she was home for a visit but it is gone now and colour just isn't the same.

7:01 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

I know, I know-- I am incredibly late to the scene here (always seem to be playing catch up these days)-- but had to comment! what a fantastic strip! love it. sorry you had to pay so much to get it scanned but may I say how totally worth it it was...? so many of us enjoyed it!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home