Thursday, August 17, 2006

Groovy Illustrations

Well, I tried to scan the pattern today, but the scanner had issues. If anyone needs more info on the pattern, feel free to comment here (include your email addy so I can reply) or email me (link on the side here). Just for a peek though, how cute is the ship?
Polynesian bag pocket

So...instead of talking about the bag yet again, I thought I'd share this fun cookbook before I give it to my friend Roseanne.
Vintage cookbook illustration
Note the fun quilted skirt.

Roseanne collects vintage children's cookbooks--how cool is that? What is really nice about her collection is that she places more value in the character and the illustrations than in first editions, mint copies, etc.
So I figured she wouldn't mind that this copy of "Cooking Adventures for Kids", by Sharon Cadwallader, copyright 1974, is a former library book.
I got this at the library's used book store for $1 or something. Illustrations by Diane Devine.
These can't help but make you smile. (click on pics for enlarged view)

Illustration, 1974
Fun wood detail.

Dinner Illustration
Whoa, check out the duds!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to know more about that pattern! And your right, that ship is too cute.

Love the cookbook & the details in illustrations are fantastic!


~Catrina
bumblefunck@aol.com

8:42 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hi Barb,

what a cool cookbook you catched!
About the not-mint-status of it: I feel it can add to the, well, hum, allurement of a book when it is used, maybe already has comments in it, but is still in fair condition. Imagine (especially) children's books, maybe the favourite book of a child. Or a cookbook, like your's. I own my mother's school cookbook from the 1950s. Actually, the b/w photographs don't make me want to cook ANYTHING from that book, the photos just look so not appetizing (although I used a recipe for liqueur). But the book added a lot to my view of the 50s, as for the description of what was cooked and how. Plus, you can't expect to get a book from the 50s (or 70s, as in your case) in mint condition anyway ;-)

Regards!
Claudia

10:04 PM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

These illustrations are fabulous! I saw you commenting on the wristlets made for Kelli's swap. I wondered about your screen name & I love it. After reading your profile on your blog it makes sense now! LOL Happy weekend.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those illustrations are the best!! What a great find! :)

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures would be perfect framing pictures for a kitchen! Great find!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Hey, Barb! Love the pictures from this book, especially the cool dude? (is that a mustache?) at the butcher block. Groovy...

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home