Monday, May 21, 2007

For the love of a good voice

I am so frickin' proud of myself.
Friday night I did something I've never done before.
I ventured into new, more confident waters.

I went out alone.

To a CLUB, people.
In a shitty neighborhood even.

And it was comfortable.

I wanted to see Storm Large at the Casbah.

so I did.

You see, most of my friends are more...Sade types.
I mean, I've seen Sade too, but my musical tastes are pretty eclectic, and I'm willing to see just about anyone live.
But I didn't know anyone who would go to a rock show.
I don't get it.
Shoot, even Sue didn't want to go!

I decided, screw it, I really wanted to see her.
So I went.

And I was okay with it.
Really affordable too--with cover AND three rum-and-Cokes, I only spent twenty five bucks.
Oh, and I bought a tee shirt too. So add twenty more.
But still.
Not bad, despite having to wait two-and-a-half hours and three crappy bands for her to come on at midnight.

Yes, it was still worth it.

The venue is rather small anyway, but by the time her set ended, there were only maybe 50 of us willing to hang out until 1:30 closing.
A lot of people missed out, which is too bad really.

One of the greatest things about growing up (uh, it takes some of us awhile...)
is that other people's opinions don't matter so much.
I danced just like I do in my living room.
Good for me.
Even recently, I would never have had the nerve.

If you guys have a chance to see Storm, she puts on an AMAZING show.
Amazing.
Just don't get all trippy about the profanity.

She even did an a capella encore in Italian.
Her voice is so perfectly skilled.

It's the same Storm that was on Rockstar Supernova last season.
Here's a clip of her own song, "What the what is ladylike?"
I actually prefer this tame version to the 'real' lyrics, because I think the play on words is clever.
My God I love that song.

Oh, and her CD comes out June 5.

I highly recommend you check it out (and no, I'm not being paid to say this, in case you're wondering).


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you
1. for going out on your own

2... for dancing like you were in your living room

Now come on, surely someone tried to chat you up? :-)

5:34 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Good for you. And when you were in the club feeling totally comfortalbe, did you think about how silly it was that it was something you were afraid to do? That happens to me a lot. As I get older I've developed this "Oh, screw it" attitude and am amazed at how easy things are that I've been intimidated by for years.

1:24 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

btw, I linked to her music - wow love that what the what..

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home