Friday, May 18, 2007

Vinyl Hearts Apron

Vinyl hearts apron
(click on images to enlarge)

I started this apron when Tie One On had a heart theme, but I never submitted it because I submitted it to Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine instead.
I had intended the apron to supplement my vinyl recipe cards article.
The magazine ended up not having room to print it, so I figured I'd share it with you.

I'd still like to submit it somewhere--perhaps the Not Your Mother's Apron contest? (the American Sewing Expo website is not updated at this time, or I'd link the details. Amy has some basic info up on the Tie One On site).
Info here.

The apron is totally impractical but a fun, over-the-top, one-of-a-kind party item.
There are two levels of pleated pockets.
Rather than using bias tape, I finished the pocket edges with strips of vinyl.
These were randomly stitched up and down with pink rayon thread, then accented with silver metallic.
Vinyl hearts apron
The sash is a wide velveteen ribbon.

I used a current pattern--Simplicity 4597.
The fabric is Curly Hearts by Loralie (On the Mend lineā€“one of the breast cancer awareness fabrics)
A huge thank you to Donna of The Spider's Web fabric shop, for suggesting this fabric.

I added recipe elements to the apron--it's basically a great big recipe card.
Apron heart details
The heart that sinks into the top pocket area is pink vinyl onto which "Recipe for Love" is printed onto organza.
The inside is filled with 'ingredients' on slips of paper--hugs, kisses, passion, desire, etc.
The tiny heart hanging off the center line of pockets is just for added fun.

For the lower edge, I made my own 'pom-poms', by stitching two vinyl heart shapes with random metallic stitching.
"Pom-Pom" detail
Each heart is embellished inside with confetti, or mesh, or pieces of thread.
I stitched rayon cording inside the vinyl, then attached all the pieces to twill tape.
The variegated velvet trim ribbon was pain-stakingly hand-stitched, with all the edges facing forward then hidden underneath this trim...so both sides are completely finished.
The stitches were so small, I had to use a magnifying lamp.

At one corner I made two larger hearts.
Apron corner
The two larger hearts are pink vinyl filled with bugle beads and metallic confetti. One has ingredients listed: sugar, and honey.

The focal point, however, is a large vinyl heart filled with metallic heart-shaped confetti.
Apron large heart detail
I enlarged the hearts on the fabric, and used them as my template for all the heart shapes, to give the design continuity.
I'm very pleased with the result.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Wow! I love all the cool stuff you do with vinyl. I've never sewed with it before, but now it's on my radar.

I'm still in the dreaming stage of my tea towel purse. I've been checking the site for inspiration!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

So glad you *finally* got to share this beauty! I love all the details, and envy your patience to do the tiny hand-stitching. Love it!!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really delightful. :)

6:08 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

How freaking clever! I love what you did with vinyl & beads!

6:03 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

cute apron - just what you need to brighten a kitchen without wearing it - I love aprons but never remember to put them on until it is too late.
Forgive me for this, but I am tagging you in 7 random thoughts meme.
Thank you for the Black forest tart recipe link. It went over very well yesterday!!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

WOW! That is so impressive!

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home