Monday, August 13, 2007

My Favorites

Trish has tagged me for a Four Favorite Things Meme.

Four Favorite Colors
*Fuschia (I vividly remember this Crayola crayon as a kid)
*Orange
*Glossy Black
*cranberry, especially in soft, velvet-like fabrics

Four Favorite Foods
Oh geez. I'm all about the junk food.
*Elotes (cups of corn) off the street vendor carts in Mexico, smothered in cotija cheese, lime, chile, and mayonnaise.

*Coca-Cola. Life is more joyous with Coke in it. Even better if it's made with cane sugar.
*Homestyle Mac n' Cheese, made with a white sauce, with bread crumbs on top. Perhaps also with home-grown heritage tomatoes.
*Cheese Melt from PL Bagels (Point Loma)--everything bagel, cream cheese, a slice of tomato, covered with swiss cheese, then all toasted into a cheesy chewy yummy mess.

Four Jobs I've Had
*I sold wedding gowns in a mall. The dresses were shown by appointment only. I was always get pulled outside and reprimanded for wearing my hair down rather than up. I see her point now, though I still wear my hair long and down.
*Delivery driver for a florist. I used to also wait on customers at night, and when we were slow, I'd fantasize about how I'd arrange the flowers in my wedding. Then I never got married.
*Delivery driver for a pharmacy. I drove all over San Diego county to convalescent hospitals or places where teens were locked up for drug abuse. Oh my, the stories I can tell....
*I worked reservations for a major airline. We regularly received calls from people with foot fetishes (what shoes are you wearing?...). Weird. But we were always there to answer the phone, 24 hours a day. Sometimes people would be on hold for so long that they'd be snoring by the time I got to them. We were monitored by management and time is money, so calls were supposed to be ten minutes maximum. When lonely WWII vets would call, I would converse with them for half an hour sometimes. It was interesting for me, and it gave him someone to talk to. People are always my first priority in situations like that.

Four favorite tv shows
I like to have the tv on for the noise during the day (hate it on when I'm trying to sleep though). I could watch A&E and the Food Network all damned day.
My favs change all the time. Right now, um, let's say
*Top Chef
*Forensic Files
*Ace of Cakes
*So You Think You Can Dance

Favorite Children's Names That I didn't use
This is another list that changes with the times
*Jenna
*David
*Marisol
*Brent

Four Website I visit every day
*Google
*a gazillion blogs (via Bloglines usually)
*Yahoo for my email
*Flickr

Four Movies I would watch over and over
Watching movies over doesn't appeal to me.
I don't really understand why people have DVD collections unless it's to entertain their little kids.
So I'll just mention the movies I HAVE seen more than once
*Babette's Feast
*All That Jazz
*The Buena Vista Social Club
*any of the Wooster and Jeeves episodes (not really a movie, but whatever)
Oh! And back in the day, I saw Love Story 13 times.
I guess if I'm mentioning multiple viewings, I have to say
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Cabaret (and A Chorus Line, but that was an album. Uh, literally).
I know all the words to all the songs of each.

Four Places I Love to Be
Again, a list that changes over time.
When I was younger, it was behind the ranger station at the park by my house.
Then, when I lived in Aptos (Northern California), it was on a cliff overlooking the beach. Again, by my house.
For awhile, I loved a lookout point behind some stores on Prospect Street in La Jolla, overlooking the Cove. Then they started closing it early, and the vibe was tainted. I used to love to go there and journal.

Now, maybe
*walking Dog Beach in Ocean Beach
*any coffee place with good friends and good conversation
*anyplace tropical, especially with a boyfriend to keep me safe and snuggly
*minutes spent alone and free and unencumbered--something I do every day, and cherish.

I'm going to skip the tag part, but feel free to post your own answers to your blog also.
I think it's fun to learn about one another this way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

You inspired me. I did the same meme. Thanks for the fun.

Pattie

12:37 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

I've seen this meme in a bunch of places, and I have to say, Barb, that your four job descriptions are the best. And, I love that you would talk to the lonely vets. That's very sweet.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Almost all your fave foods had cheese in them! I love mac and cheese too. Homemade with bread crumbs and tomatoes.

Oh, and I'm with you on watching movies twice. Why, when there are so many others I'm dying to see?

8:49 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Wanna know how (where & when) to get cane sugar coca-cola?

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home