Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Bring back peace to OB

Sunset Cliffs
(click on image to enlarge)
I posted about the peace sign atop a rock in Ocean Beach, back in September of 2006.

It was stolen last weekend.

Sign On San Diego reported about it, but the OB Rag had a disheartening update.

Turns out the stained glass sign was an art installation by
Peace Rocks.
It lasted 18 months before someone either stole or dismantled it.
(gallery of photos)

The point of art, really, is to create a discourse.
If the work is successful, it will cause a visceral reaction, both positive and negative.
The peace sign most certainly has done that. (see reactions)

Personally, I loved it.
I thought it whimsical, fun, unexpected.
Others thought the natural seascape was beauty enough, and should not be embellished.
My thought is art by God's hands is magnificent, but art created by man's hands is also often divine.

Thanks to Beach Blogger for making me aware of this turn of events.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Since I had "that" appoint ment yesterday, that is what I though of when I read the title of your post... (OB as in OB/GYN...)

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The peace symbol turns 50 this year. If you like peace, (I do), check out:
http://www.happybirthdaypeace.com/

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sad! When I was in the New Forest they had lots of different art incorporatd into a walk. It was so enjoyable seeing man-made objects fully integrated with nature. One was a stained glass panel of harvest time hanging high between 2 trees. It's such a shame when people can only think of their own selfish wants, and not of others.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home