Friday, February 01, 2008

Photo Friday

I posted an incredible photo earlier of my Aunt May.
I copied her face when I made the art doll hat.

I just came across two additional pics of her.

This one is dated 1930.
Aunt May, 1930
She was 16 years old.
Additional writing on the back was torn off when it was removed from an album (there is residual black paper).
Too bad. I'd love to know more of her history.

And this one, dated May 21, 1932.
Aunt May, 1932
I assume it was her high school graduation.
She was 18 years old.

I never knew her.
She was my uncle Pete's sister, and he was only related by marriage (married to my dad's sister Jackrose. Yeah, I know, what a name, huh?).
She was an incredible seamstress, and worked in alterations at Marston's Department Store.
Wow, I'd love to have some of her creations.
She died relatively young, and all that was scattered or lost.
But the images remain to treasure.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what fantastic hair!

2:41 AM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

WHAT A FANTASTIC GRADUATION DRESS!

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's leaving high school a perfect example of 1930's style.

I love the change in her face and demeanor within those two years.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Do you have access to all of your family photos? I am jealous beyond words. I have few, the rest are in NY with others. Cherish, cherish, cherish these gems. What a lovely young lady she was!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if she made the dresses she's wearing? Once looks as though it may have been a wedding dress originally? The 30s really made people re-use what they had. Could you find out more from the US equivallent to Register of Births Deaths and Marriages or parish records if you know where she lived? Through those, someone traced my ancestors back to the 1500s.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Pet Guilt said...

I LOVE that graduation dress, and I don't normally like a lot of vintage clothing. It's gorgeous!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Love the finger waves in her hair.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home