Thursday, December 14, 2006

Wonders in a wooden box

One down side to dog-sitting is that, by necessity, I lead a transient lifestyle. Most of my stuff is in storage--both in a paid facility, and at my mom's house. I don't drop by people's homes to feed or walk dogs--I actually live in a variety of houses for quantities of time. This week I've actually lived someplace where the owner came home at night, which is highly unusual. But it has been fascinating to spend time with a powerful and wealthy woman and see her vulnerable side at home. Enlightening and fun, actually. But I digress.

I was trying to find something at my mom's house recently, and I came across a wooden box that I didn't even know I had. It was sealed around with masking tape, on which was written, "old photos"
Hmmm.

Turns out these images were from my aunt's house.
There is a huge quantity of wonderfulness in this box.

She was a lady I never really appreciated while she was alive. I thought of her as loud and unsophisticated. I was young and opinionated and rude. Now I realize how much we had in common. She had tiki parties and a huge aloha collection that has since disappeared. She was crafty. She was a writer. I blew it. But I can appreciate her now through the old photos that I will share here on occasion. Images of parties, laughter, travel...

Like this flapper out in the middle of nowhere. Fancy dress and barren landscape. I'm not sure if this was my aunt or someone in her husband's family. Unfortunately the details are long lost. But boy are these fun to look at.
Vintage lady with flared skirt

My uncle Pete and his sister, May. I love the old quilt.
Uncle Pete and his sister, with a quilt

Uncle Pete's parents. They were from Sweden, with the last name Sundgren. I am related only by marriage. My dad's sister Jackrose married Howard (who we always called Pete). This is metal (tin type, right?). A wonderful turn-of-the-century find, despite the blush and the creepy eyes.
Tintype vintage photo

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

What a great discovery! The flapper shot is pretty darn amazing...

5:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, those are wonderful! I love looking at all the details in each photo. What treasures!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous. How often do you see a photo of a woman with perfectly marceled hair, posing like Isadora Duncan on a stretch of deserted road?

Take good care of these.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what great photo's. That flapper shot is wonderful.

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful - and the first photo is amazing! I would love a dress like that. :)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Those photos are fabulous!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

Once again with the vintage photo wonderfulness!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the creepy eyes usually come from the people blinking during the photo, due to some unusually long exposure times for many of the emulsion types. These photographers also had "head holders", an incredibly uncomfortable clamp bolted to the floor that clamped the heads in place so the facial features didn't blur, and often left very unusual facial features if they blinked, spoke or wiggled their noses. Lots of other interresting tidbits under "deguerotypes" at the library, also "silver emulsion" and even "egg white" emulsions!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home