Sunday, December 03, 2006

Christmas kitsch

I was talking to Jen of The Felt Mouse, about tacky Christmas crafts, and figured I'd post some ideas from old Pack-O-Fun scrapcraft magazines. Really, some of the old bazaar crafts are just too, uh, eeewww for sharing, but here are some that are okay I guess.

"Elves help Santa, so they say--These elves help make your party gay!"
Okay, seriously, wtf?
Elves made out of, um, chewing gum. They are then painted with "airplane dope, nail polish, or enamel."
Christmas Elves
They must have been sniffing to come up with this idea.
December 1964
*update* Liz just made some of these.

Wishbone Reindeer. I actually kinda like this one.
Wishbone Reindeer
Reader idea submission, December 1964
Using wishbones and pipecleaners to form a reindeer.

Candy crafts (click on pic to enlarge)
Candy crafts

Fabric cards. This idea still works--it's timeless.
Fabric cards
Fabric has been stiffened with liquid starch, then cut into shapes and made into cards.
December 1964

More tackiness tomorrow.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

ok - GUM?!! That has to be the most out there scrap scraft I have ever heard of. Don't think I will be trying that one. The wishbone reindeer is surprisingly appealing, though. I saw plastic wishbones at the party supply store this year. Hmmm...

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooo totally going to make the Gay Gum Elves!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is some tacky crap, all right! The gum thing is just beyond bizarre, and the wishbone reindeer totally creep me out! Dang.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

I love that they call the old, discarded bone reindeer graceful!

8:42 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Wishbone reindeer - A. who eats 3 turkeys at a time? B. If you onle eat one everyonce in a while - where/why/how do you store them long enough to get craft with three? EWWWW is the only thing I can think of... (But the idea is nifty & kind cute, creepy but cute - My cats would LOVE it! Especially little miss helps herself - yes, I heard a kitty cleaning my cookie sheet last night - yes, you read right, my cat likes baked goods. She begged for those sugar cookies - that were made with margarine, not butter...)

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The airplane "dope"... There used to be a very glossy, hardwearing laquer used for model aeroplanes and cars called "Dope". It kind of smelled like a really strong nail varnish. As a kid, I used to use it on Fimo (like sculpey) figurines - a looooong time ago.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home