Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Reconnection...

Last year, as I've written about previously, I reconnected with a dear friend I have known since fourth grade.
We kept in touch through moves to different schools, then different states, but lost contact around 2000 or so.
So reconnecting again, stronger than ever, has been incredible.

Too, I reconnected with three women that I had a falling out with for about a year and a half, but women I have known since the early 1980's.
So again, pieces of my heart healed.

I also reconnected with a co-worker I knew in the late 70's.
That has been interesting, and who knows where it will lead.

But yesterday, I got a letter (a REAL letter, not an online version) from a girl I was best friends with since first grade.
We were so close, that we spent every day after school together, and our fifth grade teacher, Miss Barto, actually took us aside one day and told us we really should expand our social activities at recess instead of just walking around the playground holding hands and talking.
Wow.
I remember thinking, uh...why?

It shows how innocent we were, huh?
We weren't concerned with boys or popularity yet.
We weren't worried about make-up or diets or brand names.
I had never even heard a cuss word at that time.
Are kids today more sophisticated or cheated?

Anyway, Anna's letter is such a fun thing to receive.
Her family moved a couple of years later, and she went to a different junior high school, so we discovered different friends and experiences.
By the time she was 23, she was married with three kids.
I was living at the beach, partying, and dating different guys.
We were on different planets.
So we lost contact.

But the connection, the foundation, we built as kids remains.
I mean, I've never been the kind of person who had acquaintances and called them friends.
My friendships are intense, no holds barred.
They are as close as family.
So hearing from Anna further brings another piece of the puzzle back to my heart.
It's phenomenal.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

How wonderful for you! When I was in my last year of college I reconnected with a woman who had been my very best friend in grade school. We spent a nice few years together again until I moved away from NY to Chicago. Here I don't have any old friends around, something I would love to have. You are indeed very, very lucky. Enjoy your great fortune!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

This is great, Barb! I'm so glad that you are making connections with all your old friends.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You are indeed lucky to have rediscovered these people from your past. I often wish I could find some of the kids I was friends with at school.
Glad to hear you healed the relationship with the women you fell out with last year; I remember you writing about that.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home