Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pants for Ryan

A couple of months ago, I found this cute airplane-themed corduroy in a thriftstore.
Airplane fabric
I thought I'd make my friend Jen's son (who is three years old) a pair of pants.
I really hesitated though--was it too cutesy?
I ended up asking Jen what she thought, and she said the trend seems to be to dress boys in miniature men's wear.
You know, khaki-colored cargo pants, button-down shirts...
She said, what happened to just clothes for a little boy?
Good point.
I looked everywhere to find a sewing pattern for a jacket or something, and even in patterns there are slim to nothing options.

Well, I already had this pattern, so I went with it.
I found a polo-style shirt in a weird shade of blue at Sears so he'd have a whole outfit, and if the pants were over top...well, maybe the shirt would tone it down a bit.

The great thing about Ryan, is that he is already such a gracious recipient.
The pants were met with a gleeful "airplanes!!", and a request to wear them immediately.
The fit was perfect.
Pants for Ryan
(click on photo to enlarge)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute pants! I'm also a crafter living in SD. Where are the best spots in SD for thrifting? I've been dying to go, but don't know where to start!

9:34 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Hi Freda,
Thanks for reading my blog. Your email address wasn't included in my notification, so I hope you come back here to see this answer. OMG, check this out:
http://bargainlink.com/

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! Love the fabric- perfect use for them. Those crows are lovely too.

Love your dog post -sorry catching up- Ronnie is so sweet.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Awesome, Barb! Cute, cute, cute! Did you get my EM? I had not heard back so thought maybe it didn't get to you.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Cute pants! And it's nice to hear about a kid who doesn't grizzle because his new clothes (a) are home made and (b) there is no designer label. Your friend's son is cool!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'd put those on my 2yo! They are adorable.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home