Friday, June 06, 2008

Photo Friday

Mom, around 1943
(click on image to enlarge)
My mom, probably in 1943, standing on a piece of land in Coronado that would soon become the location of their first house.
My parents married in October 1942.
My brother was born in July 1944.
So I'm guessing this was taken before my brother was born.
She says my dad's mom sewed the dress she is wearing (evidently she was an excellent seamstress. I don't remember that).

My mom said there were so many choices of land to buy.
The American Dream was ripe for picking.
They considered Bird Rock in La Jolla (worth a fortune now), but settled on where they grew up, Coronado (also worth a fortune now had they kept it).
The house was on 'J' street, and as they became friends with their neighbors, the group became known as "The Jolly J's".
She remembers it fondly, and says Coronado was idyllic then.

Sorry I haven't posted much lately--I am fighting a cold AGAIN.
What is the deal?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A doctor friend of mine told me lately that many colds in May/June are actually allergies. I don't know if that applies in your case, but try an allergy pill and see if that helps.

Great pic btw...it made me start to rummage through my box of old photos to see what I have that compares.

10:38 AM  
Blogger kt said...

Feel better and have a good weekend! Give my regards to Dog beach.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home