Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sweet Salty Snack Mix, and more

When it comes to taste, sour is my favorite.
My second favorite, is the combination of salty with sweet (kettle corn, for example).
I haven't tried this snack mix recipe yet, but just looking at it I KNOW it's fantastic.
David Lebovitz is the author of The Perfect Scoop, all about ice cream (the book is on my 'gimme' list).

I have heard his blog gets 5000 hits per day. Holy cow, I can only dream about such popularity.

Here, his recipe for Spiced Glazed Nuts and Pretzel Mix
Glazing the nuts with spices and adding a touch of sweetness, makes this the perfect nibble before dinner with an aperitif. I melt the butter in a large bowl, so I can do all the mixing in that bowl, making one less thing for me to wash as well.

Note that the salt is added after the nuts are stirred, so it doesn't dissolve. And be sure to use coarse salt, which has an appealing, crunchy texture and more delicate flavor than ordinary table salt.

2 cups (200 gr) mixed raw nuts (untoasted); any combination of cashews, whole almonds, peanuts, pecan halves, and hazelnuts

1 tablespoon (15 gr) unsalted butter, melted

3 tablespoons (45 gr) dark brown sugar (or cassonade sugar)

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or piment d'Espelette)

1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse or kosher salt

2 cups (90 gr) small pretzel twists


1. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and roast in a 350F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, stirring once for even toasting.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup.

Add the salt, warm nuts, pretzels, and stir until the nuts and pretzels are completely coated.

3. Spread the mixture back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 12 minutes, stirring twice during cooking. Remove from oven and cool completely, separating the nuts and pretzels as they cool.

Once cool, this mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week


His recipe for Salt Roasted Peanuts looks amazing too (especially since I'm growing peanuts in my garden!)

Epicurious is a great source for recipes also.
This recipe for Candied Walnuts is excellent on salads.
Substitute those walnuts for the ones in Warm Goat Cheese Salad with Pears--this salad is one of those 'go-to' recipes you should always keep on hand in case company comes over. Soooo good.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

I've added to my grocery list the ingredients for this snack and for the yumy looking potato dish you posted. I can't wait to try both.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That snack mix is different from the sweet/salty nut mix that I've been using - this version sounds so dangerously tempting!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home