Sunday, August 31, 2008

My new interest

I live in San Diego, which for all intents and purposes is a big city.
I consider myself a city girl.
I prefer driving on freeways versus side streets, and I'll take a day at the beach over a stroll in the country.

I rarely rough it.
I'll sometimes hike, but I'm more cocktails than campfires.

That being said, I think my friends would double over laughing were they to see my new magazine subscription.


Granted, there are rural parts of San Diego, and where my mom lives is right on the cusp of that rural zone.
She also has enough land to justify this new venture.
I just want a handful of hens for eggs. No roosters.
I'm super excited about it!
Go figure.

Funny how one's interests change with age.

I am still in the research phase.
I need to have a coop built.
I want a cute little house-type coop, sturdy enough to keep out the coyotes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Barb, we have four Bantam hens (bit smaller than ordinary chickens) and we get two eggs a day, sometimes three. One bantam egg equals one ordinary hen's egg, so at the end of a week if we get 14 eggs, that is more than enough for two of us!
Ken has them in his existing aviary, where they have a nest box (old plastic milk crate) with straw in there and on the floor. He's also put a rail up for them to roost on at night. We pull weeds and grass every day for them and they also get bread, fruit and veg. bits as well as the commercial pellets.
I love our chickies, they are so cute!!!!

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I love it!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome! Justin's been wanting chickens FOREVER...at the moment we live in a loft, so it's not possible, but I can definitely see them in our not-so-near future. Same here, just want a few hens for eggs, and Justin just wants to watch them be silly chickens. :)

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! I enjoyed having both ducks and chickens. The ducks would do slug patrol in a line like a police search on the lawn. I've added a couple of books by Katie Thear which you might like.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Trace said...

REESY! REESY! REESY!
I love the Chicken magazine. I have the funniest chicken story to share with you this weekend. Christian really loves chickens. I might have to borrow one of your magazines, too funny!
P.S.- I accidentally just e-mailed you this message.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home