Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Refinished Plant Stand

You know how you start throwing stuff in a drawer, and you mean to get back and organize it, but you never do...and all of a sudden it becomes "the junk drawer"?
Well, that's kind-of what my mom and I did with empty pots for plants--we just put them out by the front door, and pretty soon it was this unruly mess


Well, I found a wrought-iron tiered plant stand at a garage sale for $10.
It was completely rusted, but still sturdy and attractive.
(excuse the poor quality of this photo)
Thrifted plant stand
Note that the rusted plant stand to the left was a freebie find in an alley.
The kitty statue in front was a $3 find at the same garage sale as the tiered stand.

I decided to bring the stand back to life with black paint.
I used a Rustoleum spray in a hammered finish.
Had the patina on the finials been even, I would have left it alone, as that verdigris can be so pretty.
But the brass was more dark and dirty than anything, so I painted it in a metallic sage to give the piece contrast.
(click on image to enlarge if desired)
Painted finials

So now the front entry looks a lot more organized!

Repainted Plant Stand
Note the little snail planter on the wall was a garage sale find for $2.
The frog statue in the large pot hides the broken piece quite nicely.
The frog was another freebie alley find.
It was painted in chipped white paint, which I covered in a faux stone finish.

Pretty good, huh?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those iron plant stands are so beautiful! I love that you got them so cheap too. ;-) I am a big fan of iron shelves- I saw some in a cream colour in France. I have an iron bench in the garden which could be an inside bench for my new craft room..hmm you now have me thinking. :-)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Queenly Things said...

That looks like the picture perfect California entry. Beautiful!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Barb, awesome! I love your fixer upper and the entry looks like someplace I would want to hang out.

5:25 PM  
Blogger BetweenLines said...

Like what you have done!

12:20 PM  
Blogger juls4real said...

Bravo. It looks so nice now.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home