Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Same old...

I am STILL working on fixing up my room.
This is taking a ridiculous amount of time.
More so in that I am often at someone else's house taking care of a dog, versus here finishing this project.

Too, it has all just been overwhelming.
Just SO MUCH STUFF.
One of my biggest flaws is continually adopting an attitude of
"I'll get around to that later..."
I mean, the intentions are good, but after awhile there are too many magazines to sort through, too many unfinished sewing projects, too many collectibles, too many letters to write, too many blogs to read, too many papers to file and organize...
it all becomes overwhelming to the point of my not wanting to do ANYTHING.

So half my battle with my room has been going through stuff, making like piles, putting stuff elsewhere to make space, figuring out which stuff to donate, which stuff to toss...
Finally I just had to stop and throw stuff in crates and, yeah, ironically, get around to it later.
The cycle is evidently never ending.

Anyway, I have scrubbed and scrubbed, and that's as far as I've gotten.
I had hoped to finish weeks ago, yet I haven't even primered yet.
Sigh.
I should be able to primer on Friday.
I will be dog-sitting this weekend, but I may try to sew curtains while I'm there.

The colors I need for drapes just don't come pre-made.
I considered it.
I looked at Ikea and JC Penney and World Market.
Then I went to Home Fabrics, and the guy there was so helpful that I am going to go with buying fabric and sewing my own.

I initially was going to purchase vertical blinds, until I spoke with an employee at Home Depot who said that is "so apartment. Curtains are much nicer."
You know...she's right.
I used to have a client who had heavy, hideous, motel-looking drapes, which totally turned me off to fabric as window coverings.
But my stuff is simple, and sheers with a soft cotton over the top will be perfect.
Just simple tab curtains--I don't need fancy pleats or anything.

I get my stitches out tomorrow after gum surgery last week.
The experience was really not so bad--a good doctor makes all the difference.

I also got satellite tv installed yesterday--woohoo!
My mom and I have not allowed ourselves that luxury in five years, so this is a huge big deal.
And DVR too!

Funny, the economy has tanked, yet I have been spending more money than usual lately (I took a loan out of my 401K).
I have been living paycheck to paycheck for so long, this fear people are experiencing just seems like a "welcome to my world".
I'm not going to worry anymore at this point.

More soon...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Yay for spoiling yourself a bit!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hia Barbara, I'm in the same boat waiting to get in to my new floored craft room. It's taken so long but with perseverence the lino glue, and layers of old paint and varnish are finally off. I am so excited by this next stage where between the boards can be filled and then the lot varnished. It feels like I'm finally getting progress. I hope you can feel that soon too.
A good sort out and letting go og things you know you wont get around to can be liberating. Just keep the stuff you are on fire to make within a year.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home