Sunday, September 21, 2008

Eek, not the mall!

I worked a quick five hours this morning, and my legs and feet were hurting so badly I decided it was time to head to the mall for some new shoes.
The mall just isn't a place I go anymore.
I was a stranger in a strange land.

Gone are the days of talking smut in the food court, giggling, getting that awesome fluttering rise of feeling from seeing something cute in a display window.
That used to be me, but not anymore.

I guess I've gotten used to internet sites and thrift stores.
True.

But I needed shoes.
Sometimes a girl can't just rely on Zappos.

I headed straight for the shoe store, and plunked down just over 200 bucks for a pair of Ecco and a pair of Merrells (those Europeans know how to make shoes!).
Well, I did take a detour into Old Navy.
I keep looking for a copy of my favorite shirt.
My favorite shirt is a rust-colored Old Navy tee that is now ragged with holes.
But I love that thing.
It's boxy and loose and I can wear it just about anywhere.
But the tees now are too long and too tight, and it's not the same.
I bought two today anyway because the orange red and purple were so pretty, and I can just wear a jacket over them anyway, and a camisole underneath.
I bought a crisp cotton blouse too (Old Navy has great sales).

But I really want a copy of my fave.
I may have to sacrifice my fave to make it into a pattern...

Anyway, the mall sure has changed recently.
Big, broad billboards of posing models flanked the building edges.
Models advertising stores like Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, or products like Uggs.
It was like magazine pages to building scale.
I had not previously seen that.
It's all so metropolitan New York or something.
Our little mall done grown up.

other things that caught my attention:
*the stainless steel doors of Tiffany's beckoned...
*we have a Bloomingdales now
*a security guard rode by on a Segway (how bizarre is that?)
*black nail polish, cigarette smoke, every other patron on a cell phone...
*one single cookie at Godiva set me back $3.25
*a little girl in line at Old Navy had a pink bra strap showing, and was carrying a metallic gold purse (very old lady)
*a pretty woman, decked out in a short black dress and perfect make-up, spoiled the look with a tattoo of a gun from knee to ankle. Seriously, um, wtf?

And I saw a lot of cute shoes...

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I loved your description of the mall. Sometimes I can find good deals in Old Navy, but I feel like such an old lady shopping there now. Glad you found cute, comfy shoes. That is a must.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a brilliant description of your mall. I would seriously struggle with putting into words what shopping here is like.

I'm a fan of Ecco too- they don't need breaking in time and last for years.

LOL I wonder where that woman kept her ammo tattoo?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Queenly Things said...

I can't remember the last time I went to a mall. Like you, I buy online, one-of-a-kind or thrift. All malls have the same stuff so it's really not so much fun as it used to be.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normally, we all like Old Navy...and because our town has little strip malls instead of a big thingie, we don't have to endure the mall experience.

But this article shows that even Old Navy can get ridiculous. I just read how they are advocating (by display) that women get some ribs removed:
http://thegreatfitnessexperiment.blogspot.com/

10:15 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I have a couple of shirts from Old Navy that I really should toss but can't because I love them. Now I wish I had bought several of them when I had the chance. I hope you can recreate your t-shirt.

12:36 PM  
Blogger The Tattered Rose said...

Wow, Barb! We really do have some things in common. I rarely ever brave a mall as well. This week I drove out to a near-by town with a big Zappo's and found myself a great pair of athletic shoes and my poor swollen hurt ankle is gone down in 2 days. And the pair of Ecco's that I bought came from Zappo's too. Too funny!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

As an oldie reading your blog, I should have warned you...the older you get, the more you have to pay for comfortable shoes! In 10 years I've gone from a 7B fitting to an 8C. Apparently our feet flatten out somewhat (fallen arches and all that) which can also mean orthotic devices become necessary. Ah, the joys of being a senior citizen (says she all of 60 years old)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home