Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm here, I'm here!

Wow, this may be the longest gap I've ever had with no posts.
I have been working crazy hours, night hours, so by the time I get to the computer, I'm too tired to do more than read email.

I did manage to squeak in time for a movie rental.
My favorite scene:

Found out today I may need a new transmission in my car.
Aarrgghh.
At least the repair guy gave me a car to drive--that is pretty cool.
But still, that's A LOT of money for someone who doesn't make much.
Also spent $220 today to have a clump of wild sumac removed (it's a bush, but the wood may as well be a tree stump).
I needed the area clear for the fence that will be installed.
I'm still looking for another estimate (anyone in San Diego--do you have a referral for me? The choices overwhelm me).
Holy expenses, Batman!

A couple of nights ago, I got off work about 11pm and decided to go by my post office box to see if the shirts I ordered from Hong Kong (eBay) had arrived.
The post office is in kind-of a seedy neighborhood, but the box section is open until 11pm and the doors open past that.
Inside my box was a key to a locker.
Yes, my shirts were in there, but also this adorable package--a surprise from HRH.
Behold the cuteness.
Burgundy handmade paper, owl stamp. Bunneh and fox stamp.
Love love love.

Inside, three pieces of fabric for neckties.

Aren't they fun?!
She said she thought of me when she saw them.
I have to think of something really wonderful to do with them.
Perhaps embellishment for the quilt I'm working on.

And I love the Merci ribbon.
Remember the art doll I made? I used a ribbon on her that said Cashmere.
I love wordy things.

Thank you, Vallen, for your thoughtfulness. It is greatly appreciated.

And here are some fun foodie links:
(because, really, recipes and reading are joy encapsulated).

Does one really need an excuse to drink champagne?
I love the romantic story of a random email to a blog that eventually grew into a marriage proposal.
That's what happened to Molly of the amazing food blog, Orangette.

When my mom throws everything but the kitchen sink into a recipe (you know, left over veggies), she calls it "Ooblick".
I have no idea where that word originated, but this is a woman who says "Go tell him to fry ice" (translation: go pound sand).

God I love that.

Anyway, Finny's version of Ooblick Farm Share Killer Lasagna looks amazing.
Be sure to first make her Best Ever Tomato Sauce. Yep.
And by the way, if you haven't read Finny, treat yourself to those links even if you're not interested in the recipes.

Speaking of tomatoes, Tomato Jam sounds intriguing.
Dude, fried egg and goat cheese sandwich with tomato jam! YUM.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Could the reference be Dr. Seuss' "Bartholomew and the Oobleck"?

9:47 PM  
Blogger Vallen said...

Yes, some of your great recipes, thanks. We have more tomatoes around here than ideas to use them so I will certainly be making some soup. Ooblick (or The Fridge Emptier as we call it around here) is my favorite dish of all.

10:07 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Do you have my tomato pie recipe?

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara, what film is that? Looks like Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp but I could be very wrong not having the brain for faces. Looks interesting.

Our version of ooblick is called dollop because you have to dollop the stuff onto plates.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie...the movie is Sweeney Todd.

10:59 AM  
Blogger The Tattered Rose said...

I've had a little blogging vacation while I have worked long and hard in the heat on another project. I miss our talks about sytycd. Are you watching America's Got Talent? I am enthralled with it. I commiserate on your transmission woes. Cheers, Trish G.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could be my favorite scene too - like a Dali-esque/Edwardian postcard.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home