Friday, September 05, 2008

Photo Friday

Found photos.
Photos in flea markets or garage sales or thrift stores.
Photos of people that families no longer know or want to know.
Or perhaps the photos are just strays...lost on the wind.

Occasionally I'll buy these photos.
I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but I feel compelled nevertheless.

Like this pretty girl, so carefree.
The image is dated September 1967.
Woman standing, Sept 1967

Other photos showcase events.
This one is from a May Day celebration in San Diego around 1900.
Vintage photo of Maypole in San Diego
(click on image to enlarge)
This one carries a photographer's stamp, "Herbert R Fitch, San Diego Cal".
According to the ebay seller I purchased this from, "Photogapher Fitch was a highly sought after and respected photogapher of the time - making official photos of the San Diego Pan Pacific Exposition, as well as images of various public monuments and sights including Scripps University. His work is well documented in San Diego City Archives"
The scene is described as "c. 1900 depicting a large group of Highschool girls dressed in virginal white dancing around a large maypole in the center of a grassy circle while classmates and families look on"
What's fun for me is seeing the old buildings in the background, wondering if any still stand today.

One of my favorite found photos, previously posted here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Queenly Things said...

What I wouldn't have given for a pair of wide-wale cord hip-huggers in 1967!!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Barb, I would trade places with her galdly. The location, not the year as I would have been 4!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so strange that old family photos get disposed of. I bought a frame in a charity shop, under the print in it was an original watercolour of a lady. I treasure it.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home