Thursday, September 18, 2008

Time just zooms by...

Jeez, already several days since my last post.
I just feel overwhelmed lately.

I have an odd living arrangement, in that it's basically a transient one.
I move from one person's house to another.
There are pros and cons.
I mean, I love the doggies and the people I've met who are now more friends than clients.
On the con side, most of my personal stuff is in storage.
I think I'd prefer a dream home and and a family, but it is what it is.
This situation also translates to creative financing--in this expensive San Diego market, I don't have to pay rent.

Anyway, on the days here and there that are gaps between dog-sitting jobs, I stay at my mom's house.
My stay, however, has not really been one of sanctuary.
In other words, I have a room, but it's not mine.
In it are my mom's things, my mom's furniture, etc.

I am changing that finally.
One of my client's (well, friends actually) upgraded.
The cool thing about being in homes all over the place, is that I keep up-to-date on trends.
I mean, how else would I know that bathroom mirrors are currently in picture frames, and wood preference has turned to dark hues?

Well, the guest bedroom in their house was light wood furniture they had had awhile.
They upgraded to a dark sleigh bed, a vanity, and matching dressers.
So I bought (well, actually I traded future sitting services) the old stuff.
I actually like the light wood, but in the event I change my mind, the finish could certainly be stained or painted.
The design itself, however, is timeless--simple, uncluttered lines.

I got a long dresser, a smaller tall dresser, one small side table, a headboard and matching footboard...all for $300.
Jen also gave me all her old bedding--two comforter sets, matching sheets, towels, throw rugs.
Pretty darned nifty.

New (to me) furniture deserves a room update.
So all my time lately has been emptying the room, prepping for paint.
It's exciting but time consuming.
I will update in another post soon--with before and after images.

I'm hoping the availability of a more organized, serene environment will engender me to be more creatively productive.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news Barbara! You definately need a place where you can close the door and just relax and do messy creative stuff without worrying about cleaning up half way through. I'm sure it will make a huge difference to you too.

I can talk though- hubby is still stripping the floor so I'm perched in the livingroom, hallway and bedroom for crafting. :-)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Queenly Things said...

Here, here for having our own stuff. It makes all the difference!!!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Janet Josselyn said...

We all deserve a place of respite! Good luck Barb.

11:19 AM  
Blogger kt said...

Yay! Score on the goods, and good for you to have a lair of your own making. Can't wait to see photos--have fun with the creation!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

I'm curious on two fronts: what did you (or your Mom) do with her stuff that was in your room?
And how did she feel about you putting your stuff in there in place of hers?
Presumably you discussed all this with her beforehand!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I can't wait to see everything.

12:17 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Gina: Oh geez, I hope I didn't come off incorrectly. I have been staying here, sort-of around her stuff. It's no big deal. She saw the furniture I bought, really likes it, and is totally fine with me fixing up the room. So it's a win win really. Note I am paying for new paint and new flooring, and I'm paying for new fencing around the house too. I think I finally convinced her to make the middle bedroom into a sewing room too. It once was a guest room, but no one visits anymore, and why have a bed surrounded by sewing stuff, when that space could be a cutting table or a long quilting table?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

How fun for you to get that new furniture. You deserve it!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home