Saturday, February 28, 2009

I hope it works!


I have to do something about the gopher infestation I'm having, but I don't want it to involve traps or poison.
Basically I just want them to go somewhere else.
Shoot, I've got a few acres of weeds they're welcome to.

The reviews of Uncle Ian's Mole and Gopher Repellent are positive, so I'm crossing my fingers.
It's blood meal and chili powder, and the gophers supposedly don't like the smell or taste.
No harm to any plants, animals, or birds.

I've heard coyote urine works well too, but I can't find synthetic.
The real thing is harvested, in my opinion, unethically and inhumanely, but I would try a synthetic.

Anyway, I figured it was worth a try.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it works for you. There's few things worse than seeing hard work and money on plants just wasted. Would encasing your flower beds in chicken wire help?

12:49 AM  
Blogger Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

Please tell us all if it works. I'm eager to try whatever there is that's organic--kids you know. The snow finally melted by some of my favorite rose bushes recently, and I was disappointed to find what looked like a newly built subway system in the soft soil (I know gophers just love rose roots). I've heard Juicy Fruit gum works as well. They can dig out on "the back 40" but not by my rose bushes! :(
~Michele

4:53 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hi Barb,

we don't have gophers over here; if there's any underground nuisance, there are moles and voles. People suggest several "non-toxic" methods to cast them out: live traps (and then bringing the animals far, far away), pouring a mixture of milk/whey (mixing ratio 1:3), then there are sound emitting devices (which seem to work for voles, but not for moles), or simply to invite some children to play (noisily) on that area...
But I don't know if any of that works with gophers?

Good luck getting rid of the menace!

Cheers, Claudia

10:01 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I have to ask if it worked? Our snow is finally melting and where the ground is soft there are now huge dirt piles from what we think are moles. It's scary in a horror movie kind of way There must be a lot of them. LOL

5:05 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

So far so good--the gopher(s) seem to have moved on! This stuff is easy to use, doesn't harm anything, and was exactly what I was looking for.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home