Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Rummage Sale Gods smiled on me today

Today was the Thursday Club Rummage Sale.
This event is usually an annual tradition for my mom and me to attend, but I was shocked she passed this year.
She preferred warmth and sleeping in, while I got up at 4:30.

I was in line later than I had planned, at 6:30am, and was the 71st person in line (they hand out numbers so no last minute cutting).
The line ended up stretching waaaaay down and around the Activity Center at historic Balboa Park
Queue

The large room is arranged in sections of like items: arts & crafts, appliances, sporting goods, etcetera.
I headed first to furniture (my dream is to find and old library card catalog, or an old apothecary chest).
I didn't find those, but I did find a cute little cabinet (end table size), with two shelves, in perfect condition for...ten dollars! Ten!
Thrifted Cabinet
Rummage Sale Goodness
I got the large, heavy ceramic plant pot pictured, for $5.
I'm always on the look-out for large planters, especially when they have holes drilled in the bottom.

I got this weird wooden coat rack, with alligator hooks, for $4.
It's not in perfect condition, but its character more than makes up for that.
thrifted wooden coat rack
It's wonderfully "shabby"
Alligator hooksIMG_0593

I was considering making a memo board for my room, and now I don't have to.
Perfect condition aloha goodness, for $5
Thrifted memo board

Cute child's hooded towel I thought I'd give to a friend (I think it was $2), and some flowers for my mom (entire box of pansies and ranunculas $6)
Thrifted Mermaid Towel

Tiered metal cupcake stand, new with $34.50 tag attached, slight bend on bottom that is no big deal, $10.
Purchase was inspired by a tour yesterday of Cheryl Simpson's craft room (she had a tiered fruit stand filled with tubes of paint, another with jewelry. The most amazing craft space EVER!)
Thrifted Cupcake Stand

I also got a brass (which I'll end up painting a nickel finish) hook in a 'B' design, for $1.50.
A bar of soap called "Mental Case" (just like this), brand new, for $1.
It was soooo much fun!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

LOVE the doat rack! THE BEST FIND Sue

4:53 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Wow, those are some great finds!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great score! I just love the cabinet and cupcake stand.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

YUM. that's all. YUM>

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home