Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Work in Progress: Necktie Bookmark

I'm so close to finishing this, I figured I'd post it now since it's been far too long since I've posted a handmade item.

I took a beautiful blue necktie and cut the thin end to the desired size for a bookmark. I then cut a heavy piece of Pellon to match the measurement--the pellon will be sandwiched between the fabrics, but I wanted to collage several fabric designs from several neckties atop the Pellon.
So step one was choosing which neckties had appropriate patterns that I could use together.
For Step Two, I laid out the patterns in a pleasing collage:
Bookmark, Step Two

Step Three, nearing the home stretch. I then stitched the pieces to the pellon. All I need to do now to finish is hand-stitching the back fabric to this collage, and it's a done deal.
Necktie Bookmark
The designs were all chosen with intent--this is a gift for a man in the UK.

Because everything is chosen with a particular man in mind, I wanted patterns that held meaning for this man's interests.
The globe represents his love of travel, geography, and world events.
The book for love of words and reading.
You'll see hints of pattern of circuit board at the top and bottom.
The white is the only fabric not taken from a necktie, but from a pair of boxer shorts (the fabric is the Wall Street Journal) representing interest in financial affairs.
Again the theme of money with the hundred, but purposefully there more for America (representing myself, as the recipient is in the UK). This is also why the thread on the words is red-white-and-blue, and the outlining is sort-of like a state.
The wire at the top is three guitar strings I tried to crochet together, for his love of music.

I think it's a fun item to make, and I enjoy putting this kind of thought into my projects.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Wow - amazing! I can't believe all of the meaning behind this. Crocheted guitar strings!! This is one lucky guy!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful , I love it

4:05 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

WOW, that is so amazing...

4:54 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Very creative! Who is this lucky guy?

7:34 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

Oh fun project! That is one lucky book (and guy, I spose, too) to have such a fancy marker. I guess my Target receipt is looking a little lame right now...

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good ,God has bless you with so much talent.keep up the good work.
ps. if you need anything for you or your pets take a look at this site www.Goodlife7.com

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home