Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Altered Art: Dominoes

I mentioned the other day that I want to do some crafting with dominoes.
I've seen (but not yet made) dominoes that have been stamped upon, or collaged upon. Often times, resin is used as a sealer.
You can also use photo transfers, or draw on them, embellish them with beads, wrap them in wire, mold polymer clay around them...you name it.

What could be made?
Cool stuff like this Domino Book by Judi Wellnitz.

Or make pendants, bracelets, key fobs, or magnets from dominoes.
Lighter weight dominoes (some are made from bamboo) can be made into earrings.
Maybe barrettes, pins, the body of an art doll, embellishment on a larger item (large charms), ornaments, ceiling fan pulls, drawer pulls, maybe even parts of a wind chime.

I've had a difficult time finding tutorials online, because most of the links on Craftster or Get Crafty no longer have photos attached.
Some links I googled contain too many ads or shift you over to an ad site (I hate that!).
I did finally find some links (these are posted especially for Pattie)

a how-to using decals, on HGTV. Note, they made decals from their own art.

ornaments (embellisment using Sharpies), by Jen Minnis.

diary pendant from HGTV

stamped bracelet by Evelyn Kennedy Duncan.
(instructions)


how to make a beaded pendant by gchristine

simple directions on Wikihow.

Boxes made from scans of dominoes! By Meggie Cat.
Printout pdf included in post.


If you prefer buying versus making, Etsy seller Domino Effect sells lots of pendants, including this one with a vintage matchbook image.

Etsy seller Kayann Works makes pendants featuring her own artwork, like this cute pit bull.


I like this Quija board pendant by Tartx.


Ha! Robot box by etsy seller Always Amy.


and for those of you who just want to learn to play the game of dominoes, there is a website devoted to this, and the site has posted a video to teach you the rules.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Wow these are amazing projects! Thanks for taking the time and energy to pull all of this together. You are truly amazing.

I recently came across a small set of dominos, must be for traveling, and I think I am going to try to make some of the jewelry items for my girls with the links you have found. Many thanks!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

Hey, I have some over at my place, too. Go peek.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Barb, One of the best blogs for domino inspiration I have found is Sue's. She is great about sharing her technique. She paints, stamps, embellishes, etc on the dominos. Here is a link to her blog, Perpetual Plum: http://perpetualplum.wordpress.com/
Here is a link also to her Etsy shop where she sells her creations:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=50249

6:27 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

You do the best collections of links! Seriously, you'd make a great magazine editor (from someone who was one). thanks for all this info!

8:24 PM  
Blogger meggiecat said...

Barb,
Thanks for the link to my boxes. I hope that someone will enjoy making them. I've enjoyed your flickr pics. Thanks

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home