Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thrifting, auctions, and gifts

Okay...just a quick hello before I get back to the sewing machine.
I am not a fast sewer.
Even if I was, I don't see how people finish so many things when there is work and errands and...life.
I mean, yesterday I worked five hours, rushed up to the north county for more fabric, got my taxes done, and spent two hours at the dentist's office.
Not much time was left for sewing.
How do some people do it???

Between appointments I had a few minutes to kill yesterday, and made a stop at my favorite resale shop.
I got this set of 27 dominoes for $2!
Dominoes
I don't know anything about age or quality of dominoes, but I do know I want to learn about collaging on dominoes to make pendants, magnets, etc.

On another fun note, I just got this today in the mail (an ebay purchase).
I love it so!
Dis-glo Whistle
The Dis-glo Whistle. It lights up when you whistle! (excuse the light reflection from the scanner)
Ha! This just makes me giddy.
The suit! To use for "rollerskating"!
Love love love this funky 70's memorabilia.

Speaking of mail and 70's, the ever magnanimous Mary Ann sent me yet more goodies in the mail.
Can you believe it?!

Vintage necktie patterns.
Like Mary Ann said...who knew?!
Sew your own neckties
(click on image to enlarge)
Three neckties: McCall's #2568, 1970
Tie and Ascot: McCall's #3434, 1972
I think the model here cracks me up the most.
Oooh...foxy (lol)

She also sent me several pet-themed greeting cards, from the
etsy shop Good Morning Sunshine.
Pet cards
Pet cards 2

Then today I received yet ANOTHER package from my fairy blogmother--a cache of seven pretty neckties (not scanned right now because I need to get back to sewing).
Geez, Mary Ann--you spoil me!
Thank you.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Great minds think alike. I have the very same dominos but mine are in a red case. I'll send you of photo of them in the morning. I never thought to crafts with them, just play. You do have the best ideas!.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea for the dominos. Would copper foil work on them so you could "weld" them into 3d shapes, hanging shapes with glass, decoupage, ooo I can't wait to see what you do with them!

I still keep meaning to do something with 2 broken teapots after your last inspiration. Perhaps if I cloned myself i'd have enough time then? LOL

2:16 PM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Awesome dominoes, Barb. I cannot wait to see what you do with them. You will find the collaging with them very easy and very addictive. You can make pendants, earrings, brooches, etc with them.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That whistle is a riot!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Jenn Thorson said...

Oh, my gosh, I think I recall my DAD having some of those ties... The fashion then was just outrageous, wasn't it?

The dominoes are a neat idea!... Can't wait to see what they become. I've been looking to do things with wooden Scrabble tiles myself.

Thanks for stopping by earlier! Much appreciated. :)

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that tie pattern on the left. It was my mom's.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home