Friday, February 22, 2008

Photo Friday

Saddle shoes
(click on image to enlarge)
I'm not sure if I was napping here or what.
I do know that I was at Nanny's house, and that I loved my saddle shoes.
I know I would fall asleep with them on.
And Nanny always repeated the story that I would have my feet pajamas on, ready to crawl into bed, and I'd beg, "Pleeeease Nanny...can I try them on ONE MORE TIME?"

So off would come the sleeper so I could parade around again in my black and white shoes.
I lived with Nanny for about a year while my mom was really sick with hepatitis.
She never really got any better with bed rest, she finally just dragged herself out and up because she had little kids to raise.
But Nanny's house always held some kind of magic.

I love saddle shoes to this day.
In high school my friend Roseanne had a clunky pair of red and white saddle shoes.
When Nike came out with saddle shoe tennis shoes, what? in the 80's? I was so excited.
I guess they represent a memento of childhood, so they still make me smile.
And this photo makes me smile too.
Aah, to be back on Nanny's porch...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

i freaking LOVE that picture, makes me think of my favorite joke that i don't know..."there i was, flat on my back"

do you have saddle shoes now? they are super cute - rolled up jeans, saddle shoes. cute skirt, saddle shoes.

i think i'm going to go look for a pair right now.

3:23 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Hmmm...good point, Kristen. I think I DO NEED to buy myself a new pair. I just checked ebay, and some fun high-heeled versions are out there...

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hia Barb, I lived with my Nana too. Her stories of the past are what got me into history. I know what you mean about styles of shoes. I have a thing about brown ankle boots with laces. I always have to have a pair and when they are running out of tread a pair "breaking in".

LOL I can just see me in my coffin- smart dress finished with a pair of tatty brown boots as that was all I had in my wardrobe as a little old lady. ROFL

I love the way you have so many photos of your childhood.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Vallen said...

I love the way they look now, but as a kid I hated my saddle shoes. My mom thought they were better for our feet and so that's what we had but she was a single mom and could only afford one pair of shoes per kid. That was it - saddle shoes. I hated wearing them when all my friends had Keds and Mary Janes. It makes me happy to know that they were loved by someone.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home