Saturday, April 15, 2006

Bumper sticker impressions

I always thought an interesting photography book could be made by focusing on what people display on and in their cars. Next to the shoes people wear, how we personalize our vehicles tends to say volumes. Interior back window shelves of old cars are often filled with stuffed animals. Bumper stickers might scream political affiliation or world views. Items hanging from rear view mirrors offer a window into the soul.
 
Here's what I've got on my back window. Aloha turtle sticker, logo from the music site where I write CD reviews, Shag aloha sticker, and an alternative music radio station's sticker (they just went independent again. Yay, no more dreaded Clear Channel).

Hanging from my rear view mirror is an assortment of chains: my dad's track shoe-shaped charms from high school (awards from races he won), a vintage sterling Madonna pendant set in a cut-out frame--even though I'm not Catholic (it's beautiful), a wooden Mexican cross with a painted scene, a sterling pin of a surfer checking out the waves (I don't surf, but tend to date them. One of my supervisors says, "friends don't let friends date surfers" even though he himself surfs ), and hanging from an organza ribbon there's a silver soldered frame I purchased from an artist. The frame surrounds a photo of artists' pastels on one side, and "Live your Dream" on the other. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

That would make an interesting book. I think right now I only have 2 stuffed animals in the back of my car.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think that's another flicker group waiting to be formed. Your car sound very California to me. I have on my rear bumper A "Cake or Death" , A Muddy Waters Blues Club and a "Live Aloha" bumper sticker. On my rear window I have Audubon, New England Wild Flower Society and Raiders ( my son's Hockey team) stickers. On my side window ( I have Station wagon) is a "Toy Machine Sphinx sticker left from the days spent at skate parks with my son) On my rear view mirror hangs a Japanese good luck charm of two Darumas with their getas dangling underneath them A little hedgehog lives on my dash board and a goldfish lives on my instrument panel. I have a collection of buttons on my headliner behind my visor.. Oh sounds so tacky,but it's not bad. I'm planning on getting a new car soon. In anticipation I've ordered a new cake or death and a new live aloha, but I will miss Muddy Waters...it came from my brother who had a job on Malta 7 years ago and sent it to me because I love the blues and its a very pretty sticker . If anyone's going to Malta in the near future could you pick me up one? The darumas and gold fish will come with me but the hedgehog will probably retire. I don't think he can survive another summer in the sun.

10:01 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I like Saltygal's idea. What say you all? Should I start a Flickr group? I'll have to figure out how to do it...

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your car sounds so festive, it almost makes me want to get some wheels - not to drive, but just to decorate. Accesorizing is one of the most important acts a person can commit!

As for Flickr, well, whither thou goest...

10:39 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Bumper stickers and license plates...

I love seeing & figureing out fancy plates...

This on is in my neighborhood:
LTDGOVT (DC plates - snarky laught insterted!) with a bumper sticker for the CATO institute http://www.cato.org/
I'm just saying you live in DC!

6:29 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Oh I forgot - I keep seeing "2th" type plates - too many dentists!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home