Monday, October 09, 2006

Kid's Craft Book

Make-It Book:   Cooking
When I was a kid, my favorite books included Betty Crocker's Children's cookbook, a series of science and information books called Tell Me Why, and The McCall's Make-It Book.

I can't even tell you how many hours of my childhood were devoted to perusing the Make-it book, begging my brother Rog to make stuff (like the wooden cat cradle that I cannot believe I allowed myself to throw away in one of my dreaded de-clutter phases last year).

This book is now held together with little pieces of tape, but I love it dearly still. Here's a sampling (click on the photos for more detail).
McCall's Make-It Book, 1964

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Betty Crocker Kids CookBook was one of my favorite favorite books too!! I can remember the illustrations in there so clearly.

Your beautiful and generous package arrived in the mail, but now I can't find your email address to properly say thank you and gush over it's contents! Ack! Can you email me? soulemama@gmail.com

7:28 PM  
Blogger Mary-Frances said...

I still have the Betty Crocker Kids cookbook and I also have the Childcraft series which includes a great craft book. My daughter is pouring over the pages these days! Fun, how stuff like that never gets old.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I had the McCall's Make-it Book too! And I saved it, too! I think I brought it home from my parents' recently. I'll have to look around...

8:13 PM  
Blogger søren said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I totally had that book too! that ROCKS!!! I wish I could find it!

7:04 PM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

I had that book too! and I looooved it....made lots of stuff from it....just looking at your pictures of the book makes me want to go upstairs and sew! I need to pop over to my mom's and see if she still has it.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Sunshine Cook said...

Hey, thanks for this trip down memory lane!

A friend of mine recently went on a big search for The Make It Book (that's how I ended up finding your blog.) She posted a few other pictures from the book here:

http://blogeleventy.blogspot.com/2009/02/make-it.html

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home