Monday, October 02, 2006

Living in the country (this week)

I am dog-sitting in Ramona right now, for an adorable lab named Baxter.
Baxter

Ramona is one of San Diego county's 'country' towns. That's what's great about San Diego--whatever your heart desires, it's probably within driving distance. And if you want country, we've got country.
There are horse owners here, boot shops with country music blaring, feed lots, and dirt roads.
Main Street, Ramona
(uh, this one is plastic)
You can click on the pics to get enlarged details. Flickr falls short in this regard--their horizontals just aren't quite right. Anyway...

Once upon a time, I even kept my own horse here.
Lil Cowboy's Pony
No, it wasn't this one, but the silliness of this little southwest pony in front of Stater Brothers grocery just slays me.

One of my brothers lives in Ramona, and I never much liked the place, though it seems to be growing on me this week.

I like the rock-laden hills on the drive up here. I like the down-home friendliness. It has taken me a long time to learn that there is a far cry between country folk and white trash. White trash is the lady next to me at Walmart today, with missing teeth and a mouthful of ice cream sandwich, saying derogatory things about her ex-husband in front of his kid. But that's another story...
Country is buttered biscuits and a friendly waitress, cowboy boots with a brush of dust, and 'thems good people'. At least a lot of the time.
But I digress.

Main Street, Ramona (2)
For example, I visited a thrift store here, and I asked a lady who worked at this shop if she had any fabric. She walked me out and showed me the two areas where they kept remnants. She said, (with an Oklahoma twang) "have I been helpful?"
Yes, I said.
"My daddy used to say that I was as helpful as a pocket on a shirt. I was his favorite."

It was just so darn cute. She went on to tell me how her dad had been in the navy, and her mom was a nurse, and she was one of six kids...it was charming. I love that open, talkative, trusting nature that you find too rarely these days.

But back to San Diego diversity...
We have other country towns too, most in the east county. Names like Pine Valley, Descanso, Valley Center...
towns with hay rides in the Fall, and sleigh rides in Winter.
but you can basically find any niche your heart desires here.
If you like the desert, we've got that in San Diego too--great flowers after spring rains.
Urban area? Check.
Snow in the mountains at Christmas? Got that.
Beach sand? Duh.
Lake areas? Check.
It pleases most everyone.

I apologize for my lack of crafting posts lately. I have been plagued with headaches again, but can't get into the doctor until November. In the meantime, crafting just isn't getting done. Bear with me.

5 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Oh Barb,

I have two migraine-sufferers in my nearest and dearest, and I hope that yours soon cease to plague you.

Once again you make me remember some of the lovely things that I miss about San Diego.

Please keep reminding me and feel better soon!

9:40 PM  
Blogger silverlight said...

Goodness, now days-a person could die before they get to see a doctor. I think health care people tend to forget what they are around for.
I went through menopause and now no longer have migraines. Mine were directly caused by hormones.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry your noggin hurts, wish I could help. I hear puppy slobber cures most anything. MUST.KISS.PUPPY.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Love the dog! I feel your pain -- I too suffer from migraines.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

:( hope you can get some relief soon!
Don't forget - the best buffalo burgers are at Buffalo Bills in Julian. :) And PIE.

(find any bargins?)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home