Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gifts

I spent a couple of hours today talking to an ex-boyfriend.
It was nice, really. How several years have passed yet the comfort level remains.

He and I were together for eight years, then best friends for another two.
Several of those years we also lived together, so it's pretty darn close to having had a marriage.
We still email (he lives in Washington state now, is a home-owner and married), and have remained on a friendly level.

His mom passed away recently, and he is down in Los Angeles helping his dad sort through some items.
They came across three produce crates of craft supplies, and were kind enough to think of me.
Did I want them? Uh...duh.

It was like uncovering treasure.
In these boxes, were 190 patterns. Oh yum.
Most are children's or for a much thinner woman than myself,
but one can always get ideas...
Or make gifts.

Also a few pieces of fabric, two tins of buttons, miscellaneous trims, macrame books, knitting needles, an incredible full-size paper sheet with a Marimekko apron pattern printed on it (gasp!), etc.

And it's just nice that's it from her, because I knew her well and we were on excellent terms.

Anyway, here is just a peak at the wonderfulness.

Miscellaneous goodies, but I love the heavy metal tracing wheel with the bakelite-type handle.
Notions, craft supplies

No date, but I'll guess 50's apron pattern
Girl's and Teen's Quick and Easy Apron

Dress Pattern, 1956
Dress Pattern, 1956

Dress Pattern, 1955
Dress Pattern, 1955

Vogue Cover-up (no date)
 Vogue Cover-up

A sheer organdy, and a sweet knit
More fabrics

Awesome linen(?) with an embroidered pattern (love!), and an incredible yellow rayon-type fabric that would make a lovely top
Fabrics

And this really cool mail order pattern for a patchwork quilt.
What a great way to use scraps.
Patchwork Pattern

Anyway, it was nice seeing him again face-to-face and talking.
I guess when you get that close to someone, that ease with one another just becomes part of who you are.
Thanks, Mark.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Wow, I give you credit for staying in touch with ex's. I'm not really in touch with either my ex-husband or any ex-boyfriends. I wonder how much great craft/sewing items I'm missing out on! Seriously, that's very sweet of him, even though I wonder if it wasn't sort of hard for both of you, too. But those patterns are great. And knitting needles! Are they vintage?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

a bit bittersweet?

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that people who stayed in touch with ex's and formers were incredibly strong.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Ginamonster said...

OHHHHH. I love that apron pattern. and the overcoat is stunning. I am jealous of you in a good and healthy way.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, you did indeed receive some lovely treasures.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!!!!Love your site!!!!Love all the vintage goodies!!! carol told me about your blog stuff and I love your business name too.
Come visit my blog too.
Love Sherry Mattia-welch....
Prairiehome.typepad.com

6:19 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a wonderful gift. I wish I had been able to keep more of my mother's craft supplies... but I do have one of the same gold leaf kits that belonged to her. The patterns are fantastic, I think everyone was a bit smaller back then.

7:41 PM  
Blogger z-silverlight said...

I have a marking wheel just like that. From the 1950's.
What a nice legacy.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wll, Barb, it is now scientifically proven - beyond any shadow doubt! You don't find these marvellous things - they find you! And the clothes - I remember the floating panel and the trumpet skirt. Perhaps I should keep quiet about that though.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

Great craft stuff. All the things you like!!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Doreen G said...

I came across your blog via Sueb and did it bring back memories for me.I had an apron like the one in the pattern when I was at school we wore them when we did cooking.
and the dress with the extra piece added at the back was my wedding dress only full length and white.
The caftan would be the same era as well maybe the 60's.
Lucky you.Thanks for the memories.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is like my dream come true! 1) To be remembered that way by an ex - obviously, he knew you for who you really were; 2) to come into a STASH. You can always put the stuff you don't like into a 'swap' pile.

2:06 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

that is pretty cool, to have an ex think of you like that. i love those two mccalls's dress patterns! i think when i go, my kids will be doing the same, having to find a home for my years of craft/sewing accumulation!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

Love the dress pattern 1955. I don't sew but oh so great. I give you a lot of credit for staying in touch and being friends. That is wonderful.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home