Monday, March 10, 2008

Maypoles

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating--I love Maypoles.
(also posted here and here)

I guess it reminds me of childhood innocence, old traditions and festivities, and simplicity.
Sweetness. Something lost that I want to retrieve.

Someday I hope to have my own home, and I'll be able to display all these images I am collecting.
I collect images of seagulls also. But that's another topic..

I just purchased this photo. I love it.
Children around a Maypole
(click on image to enlarge).
I wonder what year this was? Was it a birthday party for the little girl on the right who is standing? What are the things on the sides of the girl's heads that make them appear as if they are dressed like geishas?
Is that a boy or a girl in the front, defiantly sitting with crossed legs?
I want to go back in time and hear the giggles, taste the fruit punch, be part of the conversations....

Cover of Better Homes & Gardens, May 1929.
Maypole on a vintage magazine cover

The Nickell, 1901.
Maypole

How bizarre, I didn't even know my innocent collection has phallic symbolism, until I just now read about the tradition in Wikipedia.
All things considered, that's pretty funny.

I just think Maypoles are so pretty, decorated in flowers and satin ribbons and pastels.
Spring time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I discovered your blog this morning and it's great! I love your Amy Butler purse!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL oh Barbara! Seriously though we did country dancing and maypole dancing at Primary school. The 10-11 year olds were the maypole dancers. There are dances like "spiders web" where the boys face one way and the girls the other and you skip weaving in and out (my fav as it ended up looking like a multicoloured mesh), another was "barbers pole" where boys went around first and then the girls ending up with multicoloured stripes. Oh la now you've got me remembering! The dancers wore white.

Very very old and traditional in the Cotswolds in England on May 1st along with Morris Men dressed in white with bells on their legs and sticks in their hands. Some areas of the UK have Morris Men with blackened faces.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

I was going to guess they were German children as I have seen some of the german ladies make the bun braids on the sides like that at the Octoberfest. Then I noticed their dresses didn't look like dindls (sp). I was going to say the leg crosser in the front was a boy, then I saw the heels on the mary janes. I did notice, too that all the children seem to be wearing mary janes so maybe an all girl's school?

7:02 PM  
Blogger The Tattered Rose said...

Barb,
My mother loved May Day, too. Every May Day we used to go out and make a clover chain and use it to make crowns. She told me about the celebrations she had had a little girl and I always felt cheated so we had our own little celebrations. Cheers, Trish G.
p.s. I didn't know there be purses here as well. I've put this blog in my list of favs, too.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home