Thursday, July 10, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance - Bollywood Edition

Wow, how amazing is this? So inspiring.
I love the symbolism.
I love how, as Mia said, dance is a universal language, and so many elements of various cultures intertwine.

I work with an older man who is from India.
He is soft spoken, always positive, wears sweater vests that his mom knit for him, and arranged marriages for his daughters.
He is kind and sweet but shy.
One day we got on the subject of dance, and he raised up his arms and made a motion of such grace and fluidity that I was blown away.
A split second spoke of tradition and culture and sensuality,
Now I am forever fascinated with this style of movement.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

This was beautiful. The girls once were in a local library talent show (Mollie on harp and Tess on piano) and one of the kids in the show was a lovely little girl from India who did a traditional dance. Just as you said, the arm movements totally blew me away. They were pure grace. I will remember this little girl forever. Lovely, lovely stuff.

9:36 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Thank you for that vision Patty--I can see her in my mind.
I forgot to mention that the movements were also full of joy. His smile transformed his face. I could envision the family dancing at weddings, the coming together, the celebration. It feels magical.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home