Friday, October 17, 2008

Not this again...

In my experience, guys (yes, that's sexist, but usually true) who mess around with computer programs never seem to be able to leave well enough alone.
I wish they would instead live by the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
First Yahoo, then eBay, and now Flickr.

Flickr just got a "new and improved" Home Page, and honestly, it SUCKS.
Pages and pages of complaints in the forums, yet the powers that be don't seem to give a rat.
One of the very best things about Flickr is was being able to view comments on your photos as well as additional comments to photos you had commented on.
Now it's all jumbled together with comments on your contacts' photos.
It's a big stupid mess.

I don't see myself hanging around there much longer, which is a shame, because Flickr is how I load images to my blogs.
If I delete Flickr, the pics on my blogs disappear also.
Too, I get a second audience on Flickr, more comments on photos and illustrations, and I belong to groups that pool interesting images (especially in vintage advertising).
So now what do I do?

I will have to research other photo sites like Shutterfly and see if they are comparable.
But bottom line this means either deleting my blogs altogether, or I'll be going through almost three years of blog pages (my first images were uploaded via Picassa), and inputing each image in again.
Aarrggghhhhh...hours and hours.

Anyone else having this problem?
Any suggestions?
Note my computer is old and won't always load just off itself.
Flickr resizes images so that isn't a problem.
It's all so irritating.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Jane said...

I agree with you. I don't want to see comments left for my contacts photos. I wish we could customize our homepage to what we want to see.
Otherwise, I still like Flickr the best. I enjoy spending lots of time searching for photos of quilts and other subjects I find interesting. I will probably stay with Flickr as I haven't seen another photo site that I like just as well.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Cindy Is Crafty said...

Barb,
You can turn it back the way it was. Not the page, but the comments.

First, click on the more recent activity link under the recent activity box.

Next, in the activity setting box uncheck the following:
-comments you have made
-sends you a flickrmail
-shares something with you
-if you say so

Then select duration of the comments you want to see using the drop down at the top.

Then click save.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I can't figure out what's new. It looks the same to me. And, I didn't even know Flickr had forums.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home