Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I wonder why Thanksgiving doesn't have a song?

Vintage Thanksgiving postcard, 1913
I adore the illustration on this vintage Thanksgiving postcard.
The colors are muted and the image beautifully rendered.
The woman seems confident and lovely.
It is dated 1913, and is postally used, a note from Lula to her cousin Ella, announcing she'll be coming home for the holiday.

Thanksgiving used to be my least favorite holiday.
Note the past tense.
This year I will be driving up to Hollywood again, to have dinner with my friend Melinda.
Melinda, along with her family, has generously offered to share her favorite holiday with me.
Her gesture is so very welcoming, and her enthusiasm contagious.

I will be making cranberry cake.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an enchanting vintage card! Love it!

I've been doing my best to preserve some ballet memorabilia my son was lent and put it on Flickr. I can't remember if I told you?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28224033@N06/sets/72157609007079566/

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't want to; I tried to resist, but I HAD to take a look at that cranberry cake.

GAH! I can't wait to see its berry goodness and whipped creamy tresses!!!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No song! What about "Over the River and through the Woods"? I also heard that "Jingle Bells" was originally written for Thanksgiving but was taken over by Christmas.

9:10 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Oh, interesting. I never realized that song was about Thanksgiving. Even wikipedia says the lyrics are sometimes changed to Christmas.

9:14 PM  
Blogger The Tattered Rose said...

Barb, I was going to say Over the River and Through the woods, but I see that someone beat me to it (one of the lyrics is For this is Thanksgiving Day)Being a preacher's kid, I would also have to say there are a lot of Thanksgiving hymns: We Gather Together, Come, Ye Thankful People Come, and Now Thank We all Our God. I'm sure there are more and I do understand that compared with Christmas Thanksgiving has almost no songs. Have a nice trip and a lovely Thanksgiving.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home