Thursday, November 06, 2008

A little slice of Americana

(photo credit to Rocknj2005. Note photo is not of Kensington but of a neighborhood in the Los Angeles area, but speaks to my point nevertheless.)

I'm dog-sitting in Kensington, a cute area in the Mid-City region of San Diego where I can enjoy walking the neighborhood and taking in all sorts of lovely architecture and home gardens.
Kensington boasts Craftsman-style homes and Spanish Revival homes from the 1920's.
A block away is a small park, a coffee shop, etc.

Someday I hope to live in a quaint area where neighbors wave hello and I can feel safe, secure, and part of a COMMUNITY.

My friend Jen is from South Carolina, and her dad came out to visit.
She said they were walking around Miramar Lake, and as they'd pass other people walking or skating he'd smile and say "good morning".
Sadly, most of the people they encountered looked at him like he was a nut case.
I guess San Diego has gotten too big for its britches, but I long for that small town touch.

I still say hello to most people I pass, I still try to have a conversation with the grocery checker, I still have hope for friendliness.
It's out there.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Oh, I love Kensington. Is the Ken still showing great movies? I always lusted after the little houses in kensington when we were in our two places in North Park.

So glad to read your posts. I've been a lazy blogger of late.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You'd like Australia, Barb. There's not too many people here who don't respond to a "G'day, how are you?", even from a stranger.
Americans must have changed since I was last there in 1976. Everyone (and we visited all 50 states) was friendly to us...maybe it was our accent, I don't know.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubby said that when he moved to Southern England he couldn't get over the unfriendliness of people. Here in the North where he is from, people do have a surface friendliness, but for me as a Southern person, it is very different. Back home people stand back and get to know you gradually then you have a friend for life.

I'd love to live in a small town too where people know your face but not so small that everyone knew your business better than you did. LOL

11:56 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That house looks like it could fit into some neighborhoods in my small upstate NY city.

Isn't t funny how outwardly friendly some places are while others it's like people don't even see you walking past?

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home