Thursday, October 23, 2008

Collage with Jewelry

I am fascinated with the idea of using costume jewelry in collage and/or mosaics.
I don't know what it is about jumbling trinkets together, but I absolutely love this form of art.

Way back in the 80's, my then boyfriend's mom had framed a Christmas tree-shape made of jewelry.
I guess the idea just stuck with me, because I would love to make something like this (this amazing wreath especially appeals to me).

Nimue's grandma made one of these framed tree shapes--isn't it great?!
She says this is a craft right out of the 1960's.
Read more here.

Family Fun has a tutorial for a Trinket Tree.
This project reminds me of memory jugs.

The trinket tree also makes me think of Outsapop's spraypainted toys for craft projects
Which in turn makes me think of this bowling ball turned into garden art, made with painted plastic lizards (note the base is an old fire extinguisher).(how-to of similar bowling ball projects)

Along the same line, good ideas include collaging jewelry onto frames, boxes, and magnets (a trash to treasure project).
One commenter on this forum says,
"Get yourself a framed mirror and glue them all around the frame then, for a cohesive look, use acrylics in old gold, antique silver, and brass and paint the pieces. I try to really pile on the jewelry (sometimes forming a base with foil)to give it some depth. What I love about doing this is that it can very much be a project that is ongoing as you collect more jewelry to fill the frame. I have also many times added "found objects" like nuts, bolts, screws, coins, small plastic toys, chains, etc"
But back to jewelry.
I was at Rogers Gardens on Saturday, and was blown away by the beauty of Margaret Larkin's Jewelry Trees.
There is really only one word to describe these: Stunning.

I only have a couple of blurry cell phone pics, as I thought for sure she'd have a website (but I can't find any information on the artist).
I was so positive there would be a website, I didn't even read information about her at the store (if anyone finds a website, please let me know).
These are entirely composed of costume jewelry--usually in a color theme of silver or gold, but also whimsical christmas-themed ones.
Each one sells for several hundred dollars.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo that lizard ball reminded me of papier mache bowl I made as a present years ago. I used a little plastic lizard and tissue onto the rim of a bowl. the effect was good. I think I used string to make his tail ultra long to go round and round the bowl.

What fun glittery pics. :-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

oh no!! your post about made me cry(in a good way) I remember making the Christmas tree jewelry wall hanging with my grandma when i was little, it was so much fun-searching through all of her costume jewelry, spending the day with her-I sure miss her.........thanks for the great post!!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Zom said...

I love the name of your blog.
Thanks for visiting.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Nathalanes Place said...

Oooh I love that lizard ball in the garden, and thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoy your blogs though I don't always comment. I,m always checking out woof nanny. but now I'm gonna check out the other ones. Blessings and a great day to you
Funny word verification: psyclina

6:52 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

We had one of those framed jewelry trees from my dad's aunt when i was a kid. I loved it. My mom hated it and at some point, she got rid of it. I should make my own.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Queenly Things said...

So many ideas - you've lit the fire underneath me. SO many beautiful decorations.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gurlfriend: I've been to Rogers 3 times to look at those Margaret Larkin trees. Shocked - shocked, I tell you - that there's no website for her pieces. I bet she has one by next Christmas.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Gosh what will people think of next?? What a great way to use old jewellery. And here was I saving my bits to sew on to CQ blocks. Just wait till I hit Savers (Aussie thriftshop) again!

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home