Friday, November 07, 2008

Bedroom project continues...

Room progress is sloooooow.
I agonized over the flooring.
Initially I purchased a red oak flooring (an engineered hardwood) because I got such an amazing deal on it (after an instant rebate, it was $1.75 per square foot).
Normally I'm not an oak fan, but this was beautiful.
Here's a photo off their website to show you the color.

The problem was I didn't initially understand the difference between a floating floor and a quick click.
The oak needed to be floated, and even the installation instructions recommended a professional installer.
It required gluing and clamping and too much time.
I finally decided it was too much of an imposition to ask my brother to undertake, so I returned it today.

Instead, I went to Simple Floors and I chose a laminate.
Laminate can be quick clicked, meaning it snaps together like puzzle pieces--no glue necessary.
So much easier.

I should have scanned all the sample colors I considered, but I've already taken the samples back now.
I considered dark woods, I considered laminates that included a pad on the back of each piece, I considered so many variations.
Again, each decision took me a lot of time.
I weighed out all the pros and cons.
So many choices was overwhelming.

Well, their sale ended today, so I figured it was now or never.
I chose "Surf Wood".
It's really cool because there are random color variations, making it look worn and bleached in places.
I like that--it feels more real.
detail from the sample (the color is very similar to cedar): Each piece is really thick, so no hollow sound like some other brands.
Each plank has beveled edges, so no flat fake look.

I usually love whorls and knots and texture, but sometimes in laminate it looks so painted.
Surf Wood had a more of the appearance of real wood.
The price, surprisingly, about $100.00 more for my small room, at $2.09 per square foot.

Anyway, it feels good to have decided.
Next step: buy new baseboards.
I didn't know this was going to be such a huge project!
I'm so looking forward to the finished result.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Oh, it looks great! And what an appropriate name for a San Diego flooring wood!

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Barbara. Hopefully it wont take long to lay. Do you have to use a board under it or can you lay this sort directly on top of your existing floor?

Would you believe that finally we are at the varnishing stage! I am so excited -these 2 months of being camped out crafting all over the house have been rough. How you managed to craft at all while dog sitting is beyond me. You must've been so organised and have everything all laid out and sorted.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home