Saturday, December 06, 2008

Recycled wrapping paper ideas

My friend Michelle lives in Indiana, so we keep in touch via phone calls, gifts on a whim, and of course emails with photo attachments.
She sent me some pics of some gifts she'd wrapped in paper and packages she had recycled.
I think the ideas are so fun, I thought I'd share them here.

She said, "I read that if everyone wrapped just 3 presents each year in either recycled bags, paper or even newspaper, and don't use the glossy gift wrap that can't be recycled, it will keep over 75,000 pounds of paper waste out of the landfills each year. I did more than 3! I also totally re-use gift bags and boxes. I can't see spending $1 or more on a gift bag then throwing it away!"

(click on the images to enlarge. On the Flickr page, click on the icon 'all sizes' to zoom)
Michelle is a pharmacy tech. The pharmacy receives refrigerated items like insulin in metallic bubble wrap bags.
What a waste to throw them away!
She adhered a card over the mailing label for the perfect package!
recycle2

This pretty flecked paper was the stuffing in a new pair of shoes!
Michelle tied it with twine for a rustic look
recycle3

Reused bags and boxes. The bow on the box that's on the right is the plastic from the handle of a Walgreens bag.
recycle1

"We have a lot of oddball stockings, from the kids going to various Christmas parties, grandparents' houses, etc. I use the old ones for gift wrap."
recycle5

Under the tree...
recycle4

"One thing's for sure though--I'm spending a lot more time wrapping gifts, trying to figure out what works with what to make it look perfect. Recycling takes some mental energy! But it's fun, and all my presents are unique, not your average wrapped box with plain ribbon and bows."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shh top secret info now- I'm planning to use some of that charity shop hauled snooker-table-green felt as the main gift bags shaped as mittens and stockings for a lot of friends' presents. So I think that will make it re-recycled and recyclable. LOL

3:38 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

I wish my insulin came in those cool metallic bubble wrap bags. Tell Michelle thanks for her great ideas!

3:15 AM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

HMPH! My family/friends have always just thought of me as 'cheap' for re-using bags/paper/ribbons... Guess I had better just start 'marketing' myself better as 'Saving the Landfills'!!

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been years since I bought gift wrap... I try to be creative with whatever I have in the house.

It is not just keeping items from the landfills it is saving all the materials and resources used in the making, packaging, shipping etc of the gift wrap items.

I have made a fair number of fabric gift bags that we reuse every year too.

Thanks for new ideas.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home