Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Wow, 2009!
New Year's Day is my favorite day of the year.
A clean slate, a fresh start, hope of a year filled with promise, adventure, goodness.

I love to start out the year with The Rose Parade.
People across the country watching it, always want to come to Southern California.
Today in Pasadena it's 70 degrees.

I can't get in Channel 5 anymore, the Los Angeles station, and I don't know who they had commentating this year, but I'm sure I would have been disappointed.
To me the parade will always be Bob Ubanks and Stephanie Edwards--no one can ever top that duo.
They always offered the best coverage, the most information, the most interesting comments.
This year I kept switching between HGTV and NBC, and both came up short.
Please don't race past the equestrian entries.
Please give more detailed information of who is riding the float and why, and what organic materials are used.
Grrrr!

I love the Americana of the event.
Bands playing "California Dreamin'", cheerleaders, excitement, animatronics, tinsel, kids in the grandstand waving and laughing.
Red, white, and blue.

Pics of the actual floats aren't up online yet, but here're the artist's rendering of my two favorite floats this year.
The skateboarding bulldogs on the Natural Balance Pet Foods float, featured real dogs Tyson and Tillman on a circular track.

Also Huntington Beach's entry, "Surf's Up".
This one, captured in flowers, was magnificent, with sprays of white flowers representing the spray of water at the tip of the wave.

Collectible pins of each float design, band, etc are available for purchase, and the actual floats are open to viewing for the next three days.

The rest of my day today...
no, it's not bowl games.

The Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi channel. Woohoo!
I never tire of the ingenious thoughts of Rod Serling.

I didn't end up going out last night.
My bottle of Prosecco is yet unopened.
Hopefully there will good reason to pop the cork soon.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger BellaKarma said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:09 PM  
Blogger BellaKarma said...

Stephanie and Bob were at it again! It's like watching an old ex-married couple commenting on the parade - love 'em!

And I agree: New Year's Day is all about zoning out to The Twilight Zone! =)

Happy New Year!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi you! Happy New Year! I loved watching the parade too--put me in a good mood all day. :-) We celebrated Bill's bday today and saw the Benjamin Button movie. LOVED IT!

debs

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I like the Twilight Zone too. The floats sound wonderful.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home