Monday, March 02, 2009

Lookie what I just bought!


I've been wanting a Janome for so long, so when I found out that the Jem Golds were discontinued, I figured it was now or never.

I really just wanted a simple, mechanical, portable machine, versus a computerized model with two many bells and whistles (and expense).
The Jem Gold 2 weighs only 12 pounds, has a drop-in bobbin with a transparent plate (so you can see when you're low on bobbin thread), drop feed dogs, and an automatic needle threader.
Exactly what I was looking for.

I guess retail is listed at $399.99, but there are always deals around.
A local quilt shop had these on sale for $275.00, and that included an acrylic table attachment, and a carrying bag.
But they were sold out, aarrggghhh.
They (the quilt shop) are also, unfortunately, going out of business.
So sad. So many good stores have closed recently.

Another quilt shop has the machine with the table and bag for $299.99, but that shop isn't very friendly, so I'd rather not give them business.
Another shop has just the machine itself for $239.00, but they're a long drive away.
So, what to do?

I bought one on eBay.

Yeah, it's a bit sketchy to not buy from a dealer, but I've had pretty good luck with past purchases.
This machine is brand new, never used, and I got it for $147.00!!! (plus shipping the total was $172.00).
Another seller has the table and the bag for about $80.00, including shipping, so if I decide to buy those too, I'm still ahead over $50 from the quilt shop price.
Woohoo!

Now I can sew when I dog-sit, and not have to borrow my mom's machine.
Exciting!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

Excellent! Great find and have fun.
~Corinne

5:41 PM  
Blogger KR said...

What an awesome find! VERY COOL. :)

I also wanted to let you know that I'm doing a painting challenge over at the blog, and thought you might be interested. hugs!

Kristin
http://reclaimingthehome.typepad.com

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Barbara that will make such a difference to your creativity. I got my Bernina on Ebay and she is wonderful.

7:51 AM  
Blogger BellaKarma said...

So excited for you!!! I am having a major problem with my Singer -- and I keep lusting for a Janome or Bernina!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home