Wednesday, October 06, 2010

San Diego Peanut Butter Chews!

Previously I posted a recipe that I had read was the infamous (in San Diego) Peanut Chews from the San Diego School District.
Since then, however, I have received a second version.
I'm pretty sure this version is the actual, honest-to-God copy, as it's from a woman who used to work in the cafeteria.
Oh happy days!

Madison High Peanut Butter Chews

Grease (with shortening, not oil) two 8" x 13" pans.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix and set aside:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

In another bowl, mix until creamy:
2/3 cup butter (original recipe calls for "oleo", but eeewww. Always use butter)
1 cup peanut butter
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar

Combine creamed mixture with dry mixture.
Add and blend well:
2 cups quick oats or 2 cups coconut
(I wonder if regular oats would work? I think they taste so much better than the quick. Or I wonder if half oats and half coconut would taste yummy?)

Pat into two greased pans and level.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes (don't let them get too brown)

While the bars are baking, mix up a very thin (but not watery) glaze of powdered sugar and vanilla icing (ingredients and quantities not listed, but I always thought the glaze from the previously posted recipe wasn't enough).
Spread glaze on baked chews while they are still hot.

Cool, then cut into squares.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger prbthis said...

I just made the coconut version, and they where just as I remembered. Any one that went to San Diego Unified School District will remember them. They 're the samones that I use to bake when I worked at Mesa College, Milly was the baker back then,it was her recipe. I use to make them back then too. They are the real deal!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "San Diego Peanut Chews!" How did I ever find you? I have been looking for this recipe forever. They were my school day lunch for 6 years (2 peanut chews and a coke) both at Marston and Madison and oh how I loved them. Hey does anybody remember the spaghetti they served with an ice cream scooper? Or how bout the Burrito Grande (my other two favorites). Those were happy days. SDCS cafeteria food has gone so downhill since those days. They don't even cook onsite anymore. Its ordered the day before and delivered already cooked by school trucks Thanks so much for the recipe and the memories. judy in UC

11:06 PM  
Blogger DudeRancher said...

Yes, they are the ones! I use to buy them when I was going to Mesa College and they had coconut in them! I believe they were also the same ones served in grade school as well. I asked them for the recipe and they let me copy it but since lost it. This is a SCORE!!!

Now... If I could only find Mesa's recipe for their "Garden Delight" which was a concoction of Bisquick, Cheddar Cheese, Brocoli, Cauliflower and the rest is a mystery. I also copied that recipe as well but since lost it. Any help recovering this recipe would be greatly appreciated!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks!

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home